Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new farm bill passed by the U.S. Senate on Tuesday prevents maple syrup and honey producers from being required to list their pure products as containing added sugars on their nutrition labels — a plan proposed by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration months ago that producers said was

The farm bill exempts “any single-ingredient sugar, honey, agave, or syrup, including maple syrup” that is packaged and offered for sale as a single-ingredient food from bearing the declaration ’includes X g Added Sugars” in the nutrition label.
there is no link to any article.

·
Registered
12 Posts
for this to even be considered... someone must be adding sugar to honey?
maybe foreign honey has corn syrup added? sure tastes like it! as a consumer I would like to know that the honey I am getting is all honey.

·
Super Moderator
11,057 Posts
Well, its not like that .... this all comes out of an effort to "improve" nutrition labeling on food containers.:rolleyes:

"Someone" decided that even though honey was exactly as the bees made it, that would be classed as 'bad' from a sugar content standpoint, so it was tossed into the "added sugar" category. This is in spite of fruit juices NOT getting tossed into the same "added sugar" bin.

I'll post a link to an earlier thread on this issue in a few minutes ... ah, found it:
https://www.beesource.com/forums/sh...abels-including-Honey-in-2018-out-for-comment

Note that what just occurred blocks the rules described in the thread I linked.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts