Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
here is the best advice that i can find for someone wanting to start into commercial keeping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BxxXWL23Ks&feature=channel

watch all of the videos and take notes -

its sad but its life and life is rough
I am really new at this bee stuff & do not mean to be disrespectful, but wanted to ask a question about this video.
I can't tell exactly, but it appears the women who shipped all their bees to California didn't even peek in the boxes after taking them out of the barn.
Do think this is the case? Is this normal?
I understand it is really cold but it seems they would be a little curious after losing 30% the previous year. Then they drive all the way to California to open 1600 dead boxes??? or were they alive before and died on the way?
It sucks either way, but if they drove and paid all that shipping to open a bunch of empty boxes...that is really rough.

Thanks,
CBIC

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Looked that way to me too. Guess in Montana you need to go to Texas first...

·
Banned
141 Posts
Since I have dial-up, youtube is not my friend. Although I noticed that 30 secs. into 'section two' it clearly shows Mr. Hackenbergs helpers applying what I think is terramycin, then an excluder then a shallow honey super :no:

·
Registered
410 Posts
The bees in Montana are in a cold storage shed at a controlled temp. It is assumed that if ea hive is in a satisfactory condition, food, population and fat, when going into the shed, they will be in good shape coming out. If you did look at them in the cold storage shed, you would see a winter cluster and that is very hard to asses.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I felt bad for the family who lost a dad and husband. Clearly that woman had no idea how bad the timing was to get into migratory beekeeping. I think she made the best decision bailing out.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I am really new at this bee stuff & do not mean to be disrespectful, but wanted to ask a question about this video.
Thanks,
CBIC
We can't all start on beesource at the same time. You are arriving late to the conversation. If you will do a search, you will find that this topic has been discussed in length. Maybe you would like to ressurect the original Thread. Welcome to the world of internet beekeeping.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I watched the videos for first time. Really tough year for all of them. I did see that Nikki and her mom are still in business. I read where they wintered in CA on the coast then moved into almonds from there. 1100 hives I think it said on thier website.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts