Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
So much work; a labor of love looks like to me, or his wife is a harpy and he’d rather stay out!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Be really interested to see one of these that has been in use for a year or 2. Curios to see if they cover the sides in propolis or if it's air tight enough for them. Although I suspect it's pretty air tight. Another curiosity would be if they have more or less insulating capabilities than normal wood sides. I wonder if the small air spaces as a result of the hollow stems will provide more or less insulating value than solid wood? Either way would make a nice "home hive" in that it would look good out in the garden or something like that. Would be a nice thing to be able to show off to people that came over if even from a distance.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
“ I wonder if the small air spaces as a result of the hollow stems will provide more or less insulating value than solid wood?”
Good point.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mucho trabajo just to incorporate reeds. I think it’s a harpy avoidance technique.
Once I saw a Russian guy who wasn’t wearing camouflage or a track suit or a leather jacket. Just kidding, it was a track suit.
Sorry in advance.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Very pretty, and he obviously has been doing it this way for a long time considering all the special tools he created. Looks like a lot of effort compared to just sawing some boards. I'd like to see how they look in use after a few years. I bet all those gaps get filled in by the bees.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bee boxes are for the beekeeeper not the bees. Heck bees will build in gas tanks, old tires or anything convenient.
haha... but the odds are not for your examples happening.
"Heck, people will jump out of airplanes without a parachute and live."
Just not very many of them.
It's all about increasing the odds of success, not daring the odds of failutre.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.