Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a hummingbird feeder and a nuc outside my work window so I can watch both. I’ve seen the hummingbirds chasing a bee several times but haven’t seen them catch one. This is new behavior for me. Has anyone seen this before?
Megan Hughes

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
I see my bees chasing the hummingbirds of of the feeder, I do not believe the hummingbirds will feed on bees they are just trying to protect the feeder they claim as their territory. Also see hummingbirds claim a feeder and chase away all other hummingbirds.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
The bees are trying to get at the hummingbird feeder to get at the syrup. Hummingbirds that get used to using that feeder will defend it. We have one in the front of the house, and one in behind, two different hummingbird pairs, and they will fend off anything else going to those feeders. Ours have the little baskets over the feed holes that prevent bees from getting at the syrup. If you want to have 'fun', put green food coloring in your hummingbird feeder, then 2 weeks later check the combs in that nuc. Do not be at all surprised if you find green 'honey', capped.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts