Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my first nuc coming next week and I have a question about pollination and nectur.
I have a huge holly bush that is blooming now along with my blueberries and autumn olives..
The problem is i see 100's of honey bees on the holly and see just a few on the other bushes. The reason
I am getting bees is to help the fruit trees bare more fruit. Do you think I need to cut down the holly so the bees pollinate the fruit bushes more frequently? I actually see more bumble bees on the blue berries then honey bees. Give me your thoughts.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
No, don't cut down the hollies! One holly bush is not going to keep bees from foraging other blooms in the area. From what you say about 100's of bees on them, you already have lots of beehives in your area. I'd be more concerned that there will be too many bees for you to get a honey crop from your hive, but time will tell you that. I have heard that honeybees don't do blueberries real well, so maybe that is one flower that will do better with bumblebees than with honeybees. With a lot of bees in the area, it will cause even better pollinations as the bees will all be looking for more forage. I think you'll be fine and will notice good fruit and berry crops. All you can really do is try and see what happens.

My neighbors here say their gardens and trees do much better crops now that I've moved in with beehives. I'm sure you will find the same with your hive at your own property.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
What Ray said! Hollies are a big bloom here. I never see honeybees on our blueberries and they don't bloom at the same time the hollies do, I don't think they are a preferred plant.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I agree. Leave well enough alone. The bees have it all figured out.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Honey bees are not big on working blueberries, they are a secondary source to them. but they should go for the autumn olive, and well as privet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts