Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Urban beekeepers have been fighting to have a ban on urban beekeeping lifted in New York City. In 1999, the Giuliani administration added honey bees to the list of prohibited (dangerous) animal list within the city limits. The list also included crocodiles,Lions, and pit vipers, a violation fine of $2,000.00
Council member David Yassky introduced a bill that would abolish the ban,but the bill was stagnated until local activists rekindled the fight by proposing to the N.Y. city health dept. that the bill be overturned. They got the okay from the health dept., but requires a second vote in March, following a public comment period to take effect. Beware the vicious dangerous honeybee is lurking to get you.:D Jack

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
We sell honey in NYC and have beekeeping friends (illegals I'll call them) who have rooftop hives. I've gotten some pretty good honey from my illegals but it is a tough forage in some areas. One aspect I never realized was in talking to one of the natives non-illegals who states never mind the ban, there is so much crap sprayed on everything in NYC (she showed me signs about not letting kids and pets play) some if must show up in the honey. Is it a good idea? One thing I can say is one memorable experiance for me was working bees in one of these hives on rooftop in the Carol Gardens section of Brookly and looking out over the harbor and seeing the statue of liberty in the afternoon fading day. Pretty neat perspective.

Our old Beesource friend Jim Fisher is down there now in the heat of the battle! Just FYI for those who remember.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I did an interview with Andrew Coté last month about this (NYC Beekeepers Association, Bees without Borders). He's been to the previous hearings and is optimistic the regs will change.

Any NYC beekeepers who want to attend the next hearing and voice support, it will take place on February 3, 2010. I can't find a location; http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/contact/contact.shtml has contact information for the Department of Health.

Shelley
--------------
Long time lurker and first-year beekeeper

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just an update, it looks like the hearing will take place at the following location:

Wednesday, February 3, 2010
from 10am-12pm at the 3rd Floor Boardroom (Room 330),
125 Worth Street, New York City (Manhattan)
pre-register by calling (212) 788-5010

I pulled this off of a random blog, so call before going just to be sure the info is accurate.

Shelley

1 - 8 of 8 Posts