Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
...... a cracking Gallup frame of pollen......LJ
Do post a pic or two of your production Gallup frames.
Am interested to see the live Gallup combs and how the bees structure it.

Now that I am almost finished with my experimental 300x300 CVH (Compact Vertical Hive), hoping to plug a live colony into it very soon.
This CVH should take either a full Ukrainian frame OR experimental 1/3 Ukrainian frame OR experimental 2/3 Ukrainian frame (which is ~ Gallup frame).
These said frames should span either 3 boxes OR 2 boxes OR 1 box each - to be evaluated.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Hi Greg

A few pics - but I'm not sure how useful they're going to be ...

None of the full-sized frames are yet fully drawn-out - so what follows are 2/3rds depth frames (a depth which fits into National-Warre boxes - across those boxes) and which are nothing exceptional. None of them were drawn at 32mm spacing, so there's at least one showing a few drone cells.
These pics were taken yesterday - the day was cold, wet and blustery - so I couldn't bring myself to shake-off the bees. They were very tolerant in allowing me to pull frames on such a day - only one stung a glove (worn because I anticipated annoyance) - which is the very first time a bee from that colony has stung me. However, here they are (for what they're worth):

stores.jpg brood1.jpg brood2.jpg brood3.jpg

As you may be able to make out, with this depth of frame the brood-combs also contain significant amount of stores - if in the future they behave like the colonies I have on 14x12 frames, then they'll use each comb for an entirely different purpose. But will have to wait and see to confirm next year.

This colony was a nuc started this spring, and transferred into the Gallup Long Hive at the beginning of August - in frames which had already been drawn-out and used - so that their current usage will undoubtedly have been influenced by that.
Although by our standards the colony is now near-enough 'full-size', by North American standards it's still just a good-sized nuc. :)
'best
LJ

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Hi Greg

A few pics - but I'm not sure how useful they're going to be ...

......then they'll use each comb for an entirely different purpose. But will have to wait and see to confirm next year.

LJ
LJ, thanks for taking the time and the pics. Nice.

With my CVs, I too want to have a frame size (hence my new "standard" to be) where the frame is ~fully dedicated to a single use.
Per my youtube watchings that's how the CVs should generally work.
Which in turn makes it really easy to isolate and harvest most any select honey at any time - one of my end goals with the CVs.

What is both beauty AND the hassle of the large frame long hives - most frames are multi-functional at once.
Just the nature of the beast.
This makes it difficult to isolate different honeys across the season.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts