Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the time the opening in the inner covers are referred to as... "the hole in the inner cover". In L. E. Snelgrove's book "The Introduction of Queen Bees", Snelgrove refers to this opening as the "Feed-Hole".

I think I prefer feed hole... as it's shorter and more specific.

I suspect that feed holes were in use before the Porter Bee Escapes were invented.

·
Registered
602 Posts
To me,"the hole in the inner cover" refers to the hole used for a bee escape.Feed hole means a hole to fit a Mason jar.Others mileage may vary.
regarding the "feed hole",I see those inner covers foe sale with the hole in the center.That is a perfect place for a leaking jar to saturate the cluster.I make my own with the hole near the rear.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I call it the feed hole as well because thats what I'm using it for right now. But I do see gone2seed's point. I wish it was not centrally located. Though the bees do seem to lap it up if it drips down onto the frames below.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
The name is, more correctly, the "escape hole". The oval shape was designed to accept a Porter bee escape.

No one uses Porter bee escapes any more, so the term has fallen out of favor. At bee talks, I sometimes ask the audience what the hole is called. Most have never heard of the escape hole, or a Porter bee escape.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I call it the hole.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I thought you folks were smarter than this.

It's called the B hole.

If it was on an ant hive it would called the A hole.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Its the "hole the bees get out of to make burr comb on the inside of the cover"
Oh, I thought that was just my hive. Glad to see that's a universal thing. Had a bit of a time today prying that cover off. Between the propolis and the burr comb it's getting pretty sticky in this 5 week old hive!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Now that's a new one on me; the only thing my bees ever built above the inner cover was a skinny bead of propolis all the way around where the inner cover rim met the underside of the telescope.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts