Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back there was a thread about "your coolest thing" (or something to that effect) about keeping bees. The thing that I find extremely fascinating with bees is that they are extremely self-sufficient, even to the point of raising a new queen if they have the proper resources.

During a recent inspection in one of my hives that previously had been booming, I noticed no fresh brood and saw no queen anywhere in the hive. I went home and grabbed a frame of eggs from another hive and added that to the supposedly queenless hive. Yesterday when checking in on this hive, I had the pleasure of spotting a -probably- very newly-hatched queen walking around on a frame. I then took the frame over to my 5-year old son who was along for the ride, and he spotted her immediately. Seeing the new queen and then seeing my son recognize her was pretty dang cool for me. The honey is a nice added bonus, but watching them get on with living and surviving is what does it for me.

That is all. Hopefully some fathers/mothers can relate.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Beautiful, thank you for sharing.

You are so right, I was going through those same thoughts in my mind while putting the home made extractor together. Simply amazing. What I find cool is my husband keeps inching more and more towards the hives. He's a great supporter!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts