Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Beekeeping isn't being released until May 4th 2010, but I'm hoping that a little preview will be available before then...

If anyone learns of a "Look inside" being available please let me know.

I'm expecting it to have a good bit of "natural" beekeeping info in it.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
"The Complete Idiot's Guide to Beekeeping isn't being released until May 4th 2010, but I'm hoping that a little preview will be available before then..."
Maybe it's me, but I don't like the title. Most of the beekeepers I know are far from idiots and actually quite the contrary. I can laugh at myself and call myself a dummy is a comical kind of way, but not an idiot. Maybe the title can be tweaked prior to release.

·
Registered
359 Posts
When I got interested in bees two years ago, I read every book I could find. I even bought the "Beekeeping for Dummies" book. I guess with the publishing of the "Complete Idiot's Guide to Beekeeping" everyone is covered. One question....in the title does the word "complete" refer to the book being thorough or a person's level of ignorance??:D:D:D

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe it's me, but I don't like the title. Most of the beekeepers I know are far from idiots and actually quite the contrary. I can laugh at myself and call myself a dummy is a comical kind of way, but not an idiot. Maybe the title can be tweaked prior to release.

Jeffzhear,

Yea, I know what you mean about the title...

But the "Dummies" and "Idiots" series are popular and I'm guessing that choosing to publish under Penguin's "Idiot Guide" may be a way to introduce a larger population to chemical free beekeeping.

That's just my guess.

I bought my first two beekeeping books back in the '70s. In the past few years I've bought many more. Even one in Hungarian!

I borrowed "Beekeeping for Dummies" from the library but never cared to own it... To me, the book written in Hungarian is more interesting. :)

I'm sure that "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Beekeeping" won't come with an Apistan book mark. :D

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I thought I wrote the book this year. Did a lot of experimenting and it just about all failed or one manner or another didn't work. Actually some things came out just fine, but most trials were nothing but errors.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I like natural - it fits my modus operenda - as i usualy find out it's lazery and cheeper way to do things.

I can sum up my first year of a BEEK this way. "The bees did well in spite of me".

I think they seem to know what they are doing better than me, so I'm all about letting the bees be bees, but understand they have some challanges I need to help them with.

I pre-ordeder from amazon. Looking forward to another bee book. I don't mind the title. I'm a humble person and can take information from any source.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Usually there's at least one tidbit of information in a book like that which I find useful, if nothing else than to remind me of something I should have remembered. And besides, I always like looking at pictures... of bees, hives, and apiaries. :applause:

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
...i should probably chime in here (i didn't see this thread until just now).

i would prefer not to confuse our "treatment free" approach with the "natural" approches that use "natural" or "soft" treatments.

the title is set in stone, it is part of a very large series of books.

the publishers were specifically interested in our approach....we were contacted to write the book specifically because of what we had written on our website.

we will likely have some kind of preorder discount from our own website, but we have to finish the book before we think about such things :)

we will also have an online component, with videos, additional information, clarifications, and a forum.

in any case, we attempt to get away from a "recipe" approach to beekeeping, and try to impart an understanding what and why the bees do what they do. there are things covered that have never been discussed in a beekeeping book before.

ok, back to work....got a deadline looming :)

deknow

·
Registered
188 Posts
That sounds interesting deknow. This is my first introduction to you, as a new beek. Is there any material on this site or the web where I can see more of your approach as I heal from a broken leg and await your new book?

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
...if you go to our website:
http://BeeUntoOthers.com/

read "no bee is an island"

if you go to the page with the 2008 organic conference recordings, watch the talks by randy quinn and kirsten ebbersten, as well as the other material there.

also, there are other videos and such.

deknow

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
well, you guys are the first to know. the book is done and submitted (as of minutes ago).

deknow (reaching for a beer)

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Congratulations deknow! Enjoy your brew- well deserved! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
ok, once you've done something once, it's easier the next time.

so, since writing the first book, i've written a second...the final word in beekeeping. here it is in it's entirety (this is not the table of contents, this is the book):

========================================================
Keeping Bees

Chapter 1:
Learn about the bees.

Chapter 2:
Don't be stupid.

Appendix A. Further Reading:
Chapter 1
Chapter 2

Appendix B. Resources
The most complete answers possible to any question will be answered in a timely fashon by our resident artificial intelligence, The Virtual Michael Bush:
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 42 Posts