Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting this thread to help other new keepers like myself see someone else's progress over the year. Hopefully at the end I haven't been stung to death and I'm overwintering.

Oh an eating me some HOOOONEY!!!! :eek:

This is my Setup soup ta nuts. I'm not a super DIY guy but I can handle a hammer.

2x 10 frames

Item Manufacturer Part #

Plastic cover - Walter Kelley 49B
Wooden Inner cover - Walter Kelley 15A

2x Medium Supers - Walter Kelley 38B

I bought 5 to get a small discount and if I need an extra or one breaks I have a replacement ready.

Queen excluder - Walter Kelley 19-WA

2x deep - Walter Kelley 18B

I bought 5 to get a small discount and if I need an extra or one breaks I have a replacement ready.

Ultimate Bottom Board - Brushy Bee 314
Ultimate Bttm Brd Legs -Brushy Bee 314LEG

I decided to go for these because it doubles as a stand and the legs allow you to keep ants out by having a "bowl" they have to cross which you fill with veggie oil and they'll drown. Also comes with reducers. All that for $20 seemed hard to pass up.

Top feeder -Walter Kelley 12-SA

Peirco Blk Frames -BetterBee

I'll be using Carniolans which are already raised here in CT so they know bout winter. Least their genes do.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just got my Betterbee stuff today, didn't know they where right next door in NY. 85lbs of frames least that's what the boxes say.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I got 2 Dadant 10 frame deeps and 3 medium supers but am going to order enough for another hive this weekend since I couldn't help myself and ordered 2 nucs. I can't wait.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool!!! My Hives just showed up today. Ordering from Dadant is cost prohibitive for me here in CT.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I ordered a beginners kit with hive, gloves, veil, smoker, and some other stuff from Dadant. I was surprised by the over $100.00 shipping charge, but realize that's just how things are nowadays. I kept looking at the setup which was two deeps, and one medium super, and thought I really should have a second medium super, just in case. Well, this evening I ordered an expansion hive which consisted of two deep supers, and two medium supers, plus top, bottom and frames. I also ordered the extra medium super for my other hive. all in all I'm out about $850.00 not including a bee-suit and the class I am taking. And I still need to buy my bee package. I sure hope I like beekeeping after spending this much money..

Ken

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm just hit the 1000$ mark, for my first year, and have everything ordered and paid for for 4 hives, including the bees. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm just hit the 1000$ mark, for my first year, and have everything ordered and paid for for 4 hives, including the bees. :)
Good Job on the shopping. For that price you must not have paid as mch for shipping. I did include the cost of a class in my expenditure, and both hives were complete, assembeled, and painted.

Best regards, Ken

·
Registered
184 Posts
Interesting bottom board. The Brusy Bee description notes that any sticky board can be placed under, but the detailed photos on Anel.gr don't seem to show a channel for sliding in a board. How does it attach, or does it not?

BTW, GR (in www.anel.gr) is for Greece. Germany is DE.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Good Job on the shopping. For that price you must not have paid as mch for shipping. I did include the cost of a class in my expenditure, and both hives were complete, assembeled, and painted.

Best regards, Ken
Most of the stuff came from mannlake, no shipping. didn't order any kits, and just picked and choose what i needed. Also no shipping on any of the bees since they are all going to be local pickup items.

Considering everything I think its well worth the money, even if i completely fail and have to buy new bees next year. For the low low cost of about 3$ a day i get a hobby that i enjoy. And of course if i succeed, next year will be far cheaper

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So apparently the plastic reducers for the boards didn't get included by mistake. I emailed Brushy and they're sending them right out. Definitely a good company to deal with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts