Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a package on hive #1 almost 2 weeks ago, i then inspected the hive 4 days after to see if the queen was release and she was. Then that night i get a phone call from W.Kelleys, they have a extra package so i installed Hive #2 a week later! Today is Queen release inspection for hive #2 and while im out there its almost time to give Hive #1 its second inspection. Would you inspect both hives, if so during what time of day is best and does it make any difference to which hive to inspect first???? Hive #1 is a complete inspection of the frames to see if everything is going the way it should be and hive #2 is a quick inspection to see if the queen was released and if so remove the cage and close the lid! "OR" Inspect Hive #2 as described and inspect hive #1 friday which is the exact 2 weeks for the inspection????? Just curious to how experienced beekeepers would approach these inspections! Thanks for all the advice!!!..:)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
between 10am and 2pm most of the workers will be out. this makes it easier to see whats going on and to find queens, and the workers are the most defensive so that makes it easier, too. you can open as many hives as you have time for-in most cases the proximity of other hives makes no difference to the bees. good luck,mike

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok great, thanks mike for the advice! Also i sent you an invite to the ky beesource.com social group if you wanted to join since your from ky also! Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I usually inspect both of my hives as long as I am geared up. It helps me to keep track of progress through comparison. I end up checking them after work. Doesn't seem to be an issue.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I good time for me is anything after 4pm. Since they are facing east they are in a partial shaded area by around 5pm since there is a small tree line directly behind the hives! That makes it alot more comfortable for myself...hahaha

I didnt do the inspection today, i plan on doing it tomorrow before i make a trip to Frankfort ky! Gonna go buy "more" beekeeping equipment...I might need to borrow some before long...hahaha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts