Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mild winter here in eastern NC. I have 2 strong hives that made it through the winter. One = a deep and 3 mediums. Another: a deep and 2 mediums.

I've fed them a long while. Haven't delved deep in either, but the top mediums looked full and healthy when I checked 10 days ago. Tons of pollen coming in.

SO: when I check today, what if I find that the deep of each hive is empty but all mediums are full/nearly full? Should I:

1. Do a switch of deep to top and the top medium put on the bottom? or ....

2. Should I do a split of each hive? If so, where should the deep of each hive go (if empty)? Seems like placing a broodless/stores-less deep on top of 2-3 full mediums could be a problem later -- if it gets full of honey, maybe? Or would it more likely be full of brood later? Or should I just place an empty medium on top and do w/o the deep altogether? :s

A beek colleague out in the county (I'm in town) had her 5 hives make it through the "cold", and they've been swarming, despite her doing splits and keeping an eye on 'em. Boom-time, apparently.

Thx for any guidance on this .....

Mitch

·
Registered
978 Posts
Mitch, sounds like tour hives are normal. Bees moving up through winter. They will follow resources. Im a 3 year beek, so.... this is what works foe me. Thorough hive inspection on a very nice day. Check where all frames are with resources ect. It's early yet, but season for me in alabama are about a month early than usual. If warm, and conditions are steady . I use all mediums. I put most stores up top, honey. Putting brood frames lower box. Two frames honey on outside of each box, and brood and pollen in middle. I just follow this throug each box to the top. You should end with most honey and open frames in top box. If cold comes up, they can cluster in center with brood. With food being around them and above. But, the bees will move honey up away from brood chamber when they are ready. They will naturally make a wallnof hiney/stores they the queen wont usually go above. Check for queen cells asap if tour worried about swarming. If drones are present, you can move queen cell frames brood and larve, eggs to a split box. Giving a share of resources.dont make a weak split. Give em plenty of resources to work with. You can always put a few frames that aren't drawn out in brood area, if your not using foundation. Will give then space and help with new wax building. Hope this helps, and remember I'm no pro, and you will need to do what you think is best. And others may have better ideas here. Rich

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,529 Posts
Mild winter here in eastern NC. I have 2 strong hives that made it through the winter. One = a deep and 3 mediums. Another: a deep and 2 mediums.

I've fed them a long while. Haven't delved deep in either, but the top mediums looked full and healthy when I checked 10 days ago. Tons of pollen coming in.

SO: when I check today, what if I find that the deep of each hive is empty but all mediums are full/nearly full? Should I:

1. Do a switch of deep to top and the top medium put on the bottom? or ....

2. Should I do a split of each hive? If so, where should the deep of each hive go (if empty)? Seems like placing a broodless/stores-less deep on top of 2-3 full mediums could be a problem later -- if it gets full of honey, maybe? Or would it more likely be full of brood later? Or should I just place an empty medium on top and do w/o the deep altogether? :s

A beek colleague out in the county (I'm in town) had her 5 hives make it through the "cold", and they've been swarming, despite her doing splits and keeping an eye on 'em. Boom-time, apparently.

Thx for any guidance on this .....

Mitch
Hi Mitch, this early do not swap the boxes around, if the brood chills you could do damage to your self. When the nights are 45-50 min each night then som splitting can be done.

if you split do if left and right. place frame 1,2,3,4,5 into 1 split and frames 6,7,8,9,10 into the other for each Box. Once it warms more the frames can be shuffled around a bit. so to not expose brood to cold load the target box 2,3,4,5,1 or 10.6.7.8.9 IE cover the first brood frame with stores . surround these frames with you empty comb of foundation or foundationless frames.
good luck, put off the split for a few weeks if possible.
GG

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Mitch, I went full in on seven of my hives this past Sat. They all got rotated and I pulled a split out of one of them. Seeing 6 -7 frames of brood, lots of pollen, and honey in the new burr comb. One hive has started drawing the super I put on two weeks ago.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mitch, I went full in on seven of my hives this past Sat. They all got rotated and I pulled a split out of one of them. Seeing 6 -7 frames of brood, lots of pollen, and honey in the new burr comb. One hive has started drawing the super I put on two weeks ago.
I used this same tactic two weeks ago.Bees were very strong, weather was good. My boxes are 10 frame mediums so reversing them is easier. I will keep an eye out for queen cells. Swarms are abundant in this area right now. Drones are plentiful.
This worked well last year to prevent swarms and maximize honey.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts