Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Got to think..
It is also possible why bees like collecting the water from moist rotting wood - the very presence of the fungus/bacteria/whatever.
Who knows.
They do like sucking on wet wood chips, that's for sure.
:)
interesting comment to counter the other comment.

So they may be sucking on rotting wood because that's where the moisture is or there may be something in rotting wood, :)

who knows.

Bumping to see the updates.

GG

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
:)
interesting comment to counter the other comment.

So they may be sucking on rotting wood because that's where the moisture is or there may be something in rotting wood, :)

who knows.

Bumping to see the updates.

GG
I guess I have an open mind.
Let see what the scientists have to say about it.
They should know, right?
LOL

·
Registered
21 Posts
Many symbiotic relationships are not well understood. I don't doubt that bees will take moisture from mycelium. They also come in great numbers for tree sap. Both sources have much more than water, and the bees may be seeking those ingredients as well.
In the early spring as the snow melt and water pools on my lawn, the first place my bees go, is the standing water where there is the most dog crap thawing out and dissolving away. There's lots of clean water everywhere, but the places where I throw the pooch poop all winter, is where the bees first congregate.
Call for science, accreditation, repeated studies and reviews all you want, pretty sure there isn't any, but there they are. In 6 months I can provide pics if anyone insists on proof. :)

What beekeepers witness their bees doing seems to be the biggest variable among bees.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts