Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon, the bees were cut out of the wall. I was an amazing process. I am still without words, it was amazing to be so close to so many at one time... I know, I am a newb!

Everything seemed to go well, I will be checking the hive tomorrow and will be transporting it to our old house so they don't try to re-enter the wall. I spoke to the prior owner, and he said that that was the fourth time bees had been removed from the house...so I am going to have to stay on top of it. I don't mind that they like the area, but no more wall rescues!

Pres of the beekeeper association said that I will need to requeen in a few weeks, as the hive is a bit more Africanized than he had thought. However, he only took two stings and no one else was stung.

If you'd like, browse all the pictures on Flickr, there are lots....

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Looks nice.
Try putting a hive box with frames in as close to the multiple swarming place as possible, maybe they'll go into the beebox next time instead of the wall.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Monkadelic; how did your mentor determine that the bees were Africanized? It usually requires a lab test to determine, as there is virtually no physical difference between AHB and European bees. Also, if only two stings out of this tearout, not to mention that you're standing there with no veil or other protection, it does not appear that they were even partially Africanized. I say this because every time you tell someone that you captured a feral AHB hive they're saying, OH, MY Gosh! Killer Bees! Thankfully, so far the AHB problem is not that big in FL, but the perception of a problem is very big! :D

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I agree, there is no way you could have taken that picture next to the cutout, if these were AHB. Have your mentor explain to you why he thinks that and kindly share it with us....
Thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brac: Yes, she was found and clipped!

Re: Africanized: They were very "bouncy" and in our area that has usually meant that they are a bit more AHB than not, according to my mentors. I know, only two stings, and me standing right there...I think they are docile as heck, but I am a newb and what do I know? I was wearing a veil when taking all the photos, so I could get close (as the bees LOVED my camera, it is black and buzzes) but yeah, I was just standing there later. They didn't want to bother me at all.

There was one sting later that night, as my buddy (you can see him in the Flickr pics holding the plate of honey) and I went back to check and there was still a very large "bee-ball" in the corner of the wall and he wanted to try getting them into the hive. One went up his sleeve, and that was all the provocation she needed..

Apparently their behavior was less calm than my mentor had hoped, and that suggested to him that they were a bit more "hot" than he was comfortable with.

I checked the hive yesterday afternoon, and my buddy checked it in the evening, and all the bees seem to have taken to the hive, so I am going to bring it to our current house tonight. The honey is Brazilian pepper, it is rich and tangy and sooooo yummy on vanilla ice cream!

·
Registered
359 Posts
No way those bees are africanized. If they were, you wouldn't be standing within 200 yds. of the cut out without a full suit and leather gloves. Please don't raise the red flag of AHB terror. Nice feral colony.

The future swarms will continue to come back to that spot because they can smell what's left of the old comb. Kind of a calling card that lets future swarms looking for a home if this spot was good for one swarm, it should be good for us too. Only way to stop it is plug the spot with insulation and seal up all cracks/crevices. Wouldn't hurt to dust or spray the cavity with seven either.

That's some pretty serious construction on that old house. Looks like 1" sheating boards. You couldn't afford to build a house that well today.

Good luck.

·
Registered
200 Posts
What is seven?

We were very lucky to get that house (and we got it for a song). Also, I saw some of your videos, and they were very inspiring!

I moved the girls last night to our current house, and the foragers seem to be enjoying the local flora. It is chilly, but they are out and about! I am looking forward to being able to see them every day.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
If the wall is still open, fill it with expanding foam or closed cell rigid insulation so swarms can't get in. Otherwise it will still attract swarms.

Sevin is an insecticide, I don't think it would deter a swarm, it would just kill them inside the wall IF it has residual activity. I'd rather have a swarm in the wall:)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Nice pics. I am going to my second year with bee's, and as others have stated I found it very surprising that they did the cutout with no gloves, then reached in for a handfull of bee's. I have seen videos of africanized bee's and yours exhibited non of the traits the videos showed.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I think we are going to use spray foam in the wall.

The girls seem to be doing fine, I moved them to our current house Friday night and they have been loving the flame vine that we having growing on the fence near their hive. They have been active and seem to be happy! They were a bit bouncy yesterday when I checked them, but it was the first day it had been nice (it has either been chilly or raining) since they were moved, so I figured that they were just enjoying the weather.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts