Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sent this program by a fellow beekeeper. At first, I did not have Microsoft Access 2000 so today, I payed the money and bought it

I downloaded the Reocrd Book and it worked fine. Than we I went to the New Hive area of the program and typed in the info and went down and clicked on the save button, I got this message:

"The changes you requested to the table wre not successful because they would create duplicate values in the index, primary key, or relationship. Change the data in the field or fields that contain duplicate data, remove the index, or redefine the index to permit duplicate entries and try again"

I am pretty mad because I spent the whole day wanting to use this program after I bought Microsoft Access and thought "wow... maybe there is a computer program for beekeepers and maybe the program will work and not cost an arm and a leg"

so... I do not understand the problem.

any help would be great!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Where can this program(Beekeepers Record Book ) be found and for how much?
Sorry I am of no help to you Chef.

Thank you

P.S. I see you are from Oregon. What part if you dont mind me asking?

·
Registered
642 Posts
CHEF
Hi, I wrote the program and when I made it availiable to everyone I asked for feedback to work out the bugs. I am currently on vacation and can work on it now, send me what you got and I'll fix it and ask Barry to post an updated copy.

·
Registered
642 Posts
CHEF,
I am working in my copy and saw the error message when I used the same hive # for two different hives, you got to be sure you are giving each hive a different #. The pallett # can duplicate.

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
I just got the program a couple of days ago and have only looked it over a bit- it looks like it will be useful. Miki, expect some feedback when I get a round tuit!

Chef, don't be put off by the need for a unique hive number- it's a Good Thing(tm). I had 27 hives at one point, combined 2, then lost 2. I considered for a moment renumbering my remaining hives to keep them sequential but obviously this didn't make any sense. I chose to retain the original numbering so my hive #25 is still #25 even though there is no #21 anymore. Whether I'll reuse old hive numbers or not... dunno yet. As long as I can count them on my fingers, toes, and other prominent body parts, I probably will but at some point, reusing hive numbers breaks down- especially if you want to keep historical data.

Also, the copy I obtained already had 4-5 hives entered into it- if your's did too, you'll want to delete them first before adding your own.

George-

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
miki:

I think I found the problem. I tried entering a new hive in the database..... as hive #1. It did not work. so I tried another number... 2001 and it worked!

The copy that was sent to me must have been filled out already but I cant delete old entries because I do not see old entries.

do you have a blank copy you can send me?

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
Chef, you can delete records in the database view. Select tables, open the table, select the record, and delete it. A lot of right clicking. Not the easiest way and there's probably an easier way, but it works- I'm not familiar with Access really.

Record number 0 appears to be a required null record, I couldn't delete it but it doesn't seem to cause a problem.

Note, if you delete hives in the hive table, you need to look through the other tables (queens, hive testing, feeding, etc.) and remove records that relate to the hives you deleted.

George-

·
Registered
510 Posts
Chef if you will look in the report view you will see that who ever built the program saved a couple of test records in it and you will need to delete these files before you can save yours to it..
I wish it had an edit button myself but if you will notice when you open it there is a small menu type box behind the main menu.In this box you can open each file and delete them at will.Maybe someone else can explain it better than me or can show you an easier way but needless to say there are 5 or 6 records there that you will have to delete before you can use those hive #'s..If you do not when ever you print a report you will get those test records..

Have fun & good luck..

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have deleted all the test data I accidently left in it and sent Barry a clean copy to put on this site for downloading. When you go to the members area you will find my name "GARY" click on it the link is there or PM me and I'll send it to you myself. Sorry for any heart ache I caused anyone. this is the link:

http://www.bee-l.com/bulletinboard/gary/The%20Beekeeper%27s%20Record%20Book.mdb

1 - 14 of 14 Posts