Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
Another unnecessarily over-engineered high tech toy - one of many.
Unsure what old problems it solves, but for sure it adds many new problems.

Unless it magically cures the bees of the parasites and such (it will NOT) - there will be nothing to talk about.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Never trust a beekeeper with clean jacket and gloves LOL

not for me either

Reactions: Gray Goose

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,881 Posts
Looks like the rods go through holes in the frames and do not spear any bees.. Propolis is clearly a problem he has not yet encountered. My bees produce a lot and it gums up everything. Gloves are yellow/brown and jacket has brown spots on it that will never wash out. To me, the hive looks more manageable than some other concepts shared here on Beesource. Still, there is a good reason we are still using 100 plus year old designs. Quite simply, they work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The flaws/issues I see in this:

• Difficult to build.
  • Are they really rain prove? I'm guessing water will sip through the connection of the discs over time.
  • Without a stand (as shown in the video) the base will root.
  • No real benefits of the hexacomb form - it just looks interesting. I mean hexagons are the bestagons, but they don't actually serve a purpose here. Better isolation can be done with any hive form.
  • Bigger extractor needed.
  • Cutting foundation into circles is either wasteful, or you have to buy round foundations (probably from the inventor of the hive).
  • Stacking them as shown on the video means the bees basically have to boxes that are not really connected - so they have to split up.
  • Special stand required for opening them which means carrying around the hives, or you need such a stand for every hive. My bees don't like being moved around and a full hive is quite heavy.
  • In the end it is mentioned that a more durable yet eco friendly material should be uses. My guess is: Plastic with the argument that you will use it for years and therefore it is not really all that bad for the environment - yeah, I use that argument too, when I buy plastic containers and I know it's BS. Sure might be that they use something else but I can't image what that should be. There aren't to many options.
  • As someone mentioned patents: I'm guessing you can only buy those frames form the inventor at a horrendous price.

In the end I guess it's similar to the Flow Hive. Looks cool, seems to solve common problems at first glance, but actually doesn't on closer inspection. But I'm German and it's seems to be in our genes to down talk everything new. So in the end who knows, maybe in 10 years those hives are all over the place.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
I thought it was clever in the design being a hexagon like a honeycomb
It is NOT clever.
It is just unconventional (not the same as clever).

To be sure - spherical and cylindrical volumes will always be more energy efficient than the rectangular volumes - that much is clear. But from practical standpoint, not right-angle based structures are just a self-made mess.

Cubic volumes are pretty close in energy efficiency to the round volumes, and yet much, much more practical.

Here is a basic read on energy efficiency of various volumes as appled to the buildings OR the beehives (the same idea):

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,881 Posts
A hexagonal shaped hive is not a new idea. Cathederal hives are hexagonal, as is the Fold Hive that user wasabi was pitching a few years ago.

·
Registered
77 Posts
A hexagonal shaped hive is not a new idea. Cathederal hives are hexagonal, as is the Fold Hive that user wasabi was pitching a few years ago.
All look like fun hives for a woodworker but I fail to see why it would be better than tried and true hives.
If one was into nice looking interesting wood working projects those would be fun to make.
Are they practical?
I'd have to say NO WAY otherwise they'd be popular and widely used and none are hardly new ideas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts