Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
That is probably to coolest bee "thing" I have ever seen. I would love to see it in person to actually grasp how amazing it really is! What a wonderful visual to show others to explain the brood, and honey layers of comb. Great photography work. Thanks for the link. juzzer

·
Registered
306 Posts
I traveled Nepal in my younger years. Wish I'd known about this at the time. It would have been an amazing thing to witness first hand.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I was in Nepal a few years ago and one of the porters that was with us said that his family also harvested honey. The combs were large (a few feet) single combs hanging from the underside of rock outcroppings. Most of the ones that we saw were a few hundred feet up. We were seeing them at around 12,000 feet in elevation. The guy said that they leave in the cold months (migrate?) and return in the warm ones.

We also saw a hive (I have a picture of it somewhere) of a hive in a log that was hanging by string from a guys porch. The bees entrance was a hole in the side of the log. The ends were sealed and he had a way of removing a piece of the log in the back that let him get access to the honey combs.

I found the image.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
That is way cool…wish I had one on my property somewhere….I wonder if I could make one with a lure along the base of the mtn. somehow…add that to the list of bee projects. Thanks for sharing that.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi,
Clover, its illegal to have a non-movable frame hive in NY. :no:. I've also been to Nepal a couple of years ago and these are quite common, The folks there live for swarming and the hives make a KG or 2 per year. Those bees-apis cerana, are really not resistant to varroa either-mostly swarm management and artemesia leaves placed in the hives.
Beautiful weather here today!55F yesterday and a foot of snow coming today.
Nick

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Thanks Nick, I had no idea that you couldn't have a hive like that here in NY…it would really be nice addition. As for the weather, I believe you are right up there along that belt of snow…I think Delhi will get the ice, maybe snow late or early next AM. Can I ask you how you winter your bees?

·
Registered
192 Posts
We winter in singles and doubles both. The singles have mountain camp feed on for insurance. We are trying Bee Cozy winter wraps this year. Mixed results. some locations are real good, some there are more deadouts. Overall so far about 18% loss. Its not over yet.
Nick

·
Registered
914 Posts
Beedeetee,

Glad you found your picture of the log bee hive in Nepal. I too have a pre-digital photo of the same from 20+ years ago. Took my wife and three kids trekking in the Annapurna area of western Nepal and saw many of the hives above the house doorways.

Bear Creek Steve

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Beedeetee,

Glad you found your picture of the log bee hive in Nepal. I too have a pre-digital photo of the same from 20+ years ago. Took my wife and three kids trekking in the Annapurna area of western Nepal and saw many of the hives above the house doorways.

Bear Creek Steve
That photo was taken on the way up to ABC (Annapurna Base Camp) about 6 years ago.

00174_sm.jpg

Here is a photo of a wild hive. You will have to look closely. It is just below the center of the photo. A large single comb. This was at about timberline on the way to Annapurna.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts