Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp, Made a huge, monumental mistake saturday on my inspection. I left two frames (of brood) standing up on the hive while doing an inspection and accidently bumped the hive, they fell about 3 feet :( . I'm also assuming the queen was with the frames was either killed when they fell or while I was trying to get the bees on the ground back into the hive.

Reason I say this is for the past two days they have been alot more aggressive than normal, and I cant find her. Now the question becomes. There are queen cups with larva already, and it looks as though they were getting ready to supercede her anyways, but I can get a mated queen locally by tomorrow or wednesday. Only problem with getting a queen from the store is that my bees are mostly treatment free, and have been from the beek I got them from.

They have some capped brood but not a whole lot. Should I leave it be or see if they take a new queen?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Do they have tiny larvae or eggs?

·
Registered
887 Posts
I carry an empty deep NUC box with me on inspections...then as I pull the first couple of frames out I place them in the NUC and everybody stays safe...Just a suggestion...:)

·
Registered
825 Posts
What method did you use to get the bees from the ground and into the hive? Mistakes happen...how we deal with them can make all the difference. If a frame gets dropped, just leave the frame on the ground, and the vast majority of the bees will climb right back on within a few minutes. Then you can just put them back in, and move on. Good luck with the new queen! As you say, sounds like they wanted a new one, and sounds like they are well on their way.

Edited to add, I also do the same as New Joe. I keep an empty box with me for setting frames in (when I don't have my husband there for me to say "here, hold this") :D

·
Registered
739 Posts
That's a great idea New Joe! Thanks, I think I will do just that, I have an extra wooden nuc box just laying around.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
That's the same thing my wife and I do. Keep a deep NUC empty body with us during inspections. Makes it a little easier too if I need to cull frames as well.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What method did you use to get the bees from the ground and into the hive? Mistakes happen...how we deal with them can make all the difference. If a frame gets dropped, just leave the frame on the ground, and the vast majority of the bees will climb right back on within a few minutes. Then you can just put them back in, and move on. Good luck with the new queen! As you say, sounds like they wanted a new one, and sounds like they are well on their way.

Edited to add, I also do the same as New Joe. I keep an empty box with me for setting frames in (when I don't have my husband there for me to say "here, hold this") :D
No, and they were already making various clusters when I got to picking up the frame. I just picked up leaves that had clusters of bees and some cardboard to collect most of them, then when the fanning got going, put the hive on the ground for a few minutes to let the bees march back to the hive.

I'll try bringing a cardboard box with me to put frames in while I'm doing stuff, that should help. Its reasons like this that make me want to move them into my top bar like yesterday. The only thing going for this Lang hive is the ability to manhandle combs. Everytime I try and inspect its been some problem with squishing bees or something.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
For more on the "quiet box" technique - search youtube for Billy Davis. He was one of my examiners last year for the MB oral exam at EAS.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
They should be able to make a new queen. It will be a few weeks before she is laying and you will get a brood break as a result. Accidents happen.
I use a frame stand that we made. Works good for all sizes of frames. Great when taking pics and when the "here hold this" isn't around. lol

Wood Hardwood Furniture Table Plywood

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I went to take a quick look to make sure there were no larvae on the new comb that was built, I couldnt see any but the old stuff has more capped brood than what it previously, couldnt see eggs (but then I kinda need a magnifying glass) but it did look like I had larvae that just hatched, and could hear piping (but couldnt see the queen) So I think the queen is still alive (yay) but she's still on her way out, because the new queen cups are still there, and she hasnt been able to lay more than 2 frames of brood.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I keep an empty 10-frame deep on the stand between the hives for the same reason as the nuc boxes above. Why a 10-frame? It was ON SALE ... had a big ding in it and was marked down lower than a nuc box. Plenty of room to work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts