Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else still get that wow feeling when you open a nuc or or hive that you stuck a queen cell in, and twenty something days later there is a queen walking around in there? Even after 16 years of keeping bees I still feel like a kid on Christmas morning when I see that. What gives you that wow feeling? (As related to bee keeping).

·
Registered
12,106 Posts
Yes.

Split a new beekeeper friends hive for them a week ago and put a new queen in the queenless half, and just checked it yesterday. I had explained to them the new queen is not always accepted, so when we opened the hive & found her on the first comb walking around & looking good, it was awesome! :)

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
We felt that way after combining a queenless hive with a new nuc, popping the cover off two weeks later, and seeing three frames of the prettiest capped brood you've ever seen laid out on frames that held nectar on the previous inspection.

We worried ourselves sick over how it was going to turn out, but it looks like the bees knew what to do. There was a possibility that the old colony was not quite as queenless as thought, or that a civil war might break out due to plopping 50,000 Carniolans on 10,000 Italians, with nothing between them but a Washington Post sports page.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts