Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... where the land owner says "bear!" Looks like an adult trash black bear was sniffing around. Got into a few hives. The land is near solid rock. No way I'd ever get a single post driven for a hot wire. Off to pull the yard to a new spot. Only a few pallets, but I want them out quick. Those hives were looking pretty good... Before the bear started scattering frames.

I can't believe there is a bear in there. It's very low elevation and is not ever known for having Whinny the Pooh hanging around. But I should have known better, prepared better, and only have myself to blame for the damage. I wasn't going to work late, but Yogi changed my plans for the night.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Any way you could wrap the hives with the hot wire?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Isn't the problem not in supporting the hot wire posts but getting the ground post deep enough to make good earth contact?

Wayne
It could be hot enough if there is a ground wire run along with the hot wire, both going to the charger.....but the bear has be in contact with both wires at the same time. And hair is a good insulator also, so if you're out in the stick with nothing more than a charge with battery power, you may be SOL and best move the hives.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not going to bother with a electric fence up there. I pulled the six pallets out and moved them to another location. Got home about 11:00 PM so it wasn't too bad.

Bear made a mess of a few hives. It ate a dozen frames. The bees in those hives were lemons and bananas as soon as I showed up. I put them back together as best I could. I'll check them in a few days to see if they are queen right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts