Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Only variation was using mediums instead of shallows. Checkerboarding is amazing. Hope I'm not violating the board rules regarding pictures.

Link instead of picture so not to violate picture size issue: Checkerboarding picture

3 hives to the left are checkerboarded. The others are swarms from this year.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Can you point me to plans to build the ventilation boxes on top? Bet that helped at bit....;) Those hives are amazing.....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was a morning picture. summer's been cool, thus far. Lots of activity, and bees, just not in that particular picture.

·
Registered
475 Posts

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
The reason I say "where's the bees" is that ,although I respect Walt's methods for swarm control, I believe there are ways to control swarms AND increase population number. Of course, these methods are more labor intensive. Ar what temperature was the picture taken?

I do want to know if I am doing something wrong.

Roland

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
The reason I say "where's the bees" is that ,although I respect Walt's methods for swarm control, I believe there are ways to control swarms AND increase population number. Of course, these methods are more labor intensive. Ar what temperature was the picture taken?

I do want to know if I am doing something wrong.

Roland
Which methods are you talking about Roland?

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Specialkayme - We run a single deep brood chamber , and manipulate frames to keep the brood chamber fairly clear so that the queen can lay at will. We seem to be able to develop good populations and get around the swarm problems. Right now MOST of our hives, but not all, are one deep with 3 deep supers. There will be bees hangin' out on the front porch, and in all of the opening where the supers are set back one bee space. I say this not to insult anyone, but rather to find out by comparison if there is a better way for us to do things.

Roland

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The upper vent came from a design via the net that Peter showed. First time I made one...yep, inner cover nearly covered the holes. Think I used 1x6's the next time.

No swarm problems with my CB'd hives, LOTS of bees. Again, thanks, Walt. It's only the three hives I tried it on, but now that have enough supers with comb, will try it on all my hives next year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts