Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went into the hives today all the way to the bottom box. I added a second box (medium) 2 weeks ago. I was looking to see if my foundation less frames were being worked. I saw lots of brood, larvae and capped brood. I was amazed at the work they had done with the foundation less frames. It was beautiful. I am gonna try to post the pics from my el-cheapo compact camera. Thanks to all of y'all that have answered my questions. I work the second shift and cannot attend the local beekeepers meetings so I have to rely on this forum for help. Anyway, here's what I found.

http://yfrog.com/5bdsc00974gj
http://yfrog.com/f1dsc00973hj

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Looks like things are coming along nicely.

One thing to be careful with. That real fresh comb on the second pic. Be careful tilting it. That fresh comb can break easily.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Thanks to all of y'all that have answered my questions. I work the second shift and cannot attend the local beekeepers meetings so I have to rely on this forum for help.
My guess is you are a new beekeeper. Did you decide to go foundationless on your own and if not, just curious if someone suggested you go this way.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like things are coming along nicely.

One thing to be careful with. That real fresh comb on the second pic. Be careful tilting it. That fresh comb can break easily.
Yeah, I didn't flip it upside down, I just turned it around so I could see the other side.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My guess is you are a new beekeeper. Did you decide to go foundationless on your own and if not, just curious if someone suggested you go this way.
Good guess. I am very new. I decided to go foundationless based on the recommendations of several on this site. I have two hives and one has plasticell in it. It is doing very well. The one I took pics of is almost totally foundationless. I did put a frame of plasticell in the middle to hopefully give them an idea to start with. I will say I'm am totally amazed that they took a frame with no starter except for the paint stick and drew perfect comb off of it. Thanks Michael Bush.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How about that gap underneath the comb? How neat. I have heard and read it is left for communication. I did break out the corners in the plasticell foundation I bought but this is great. I'm gonna replace the plasticell with foundationless when I learn how.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts