Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you to the site and members for help and informative posts.
I started beekeeping this year with three packages. One of the three has been expanding like crazy. It is two complete ten frame deeps full of bees and brood. They also have five deep frames of surplus honey. I decided to split it. So I took four frames honey, pollen, capped brood, and eggs. Put them in a nuc with an empty foundation less frame. Checked them yesterday, and great population with three queen cells. They are drawing out the empty frame. My only question is should I put another box on so they start drawing out those frames. This way the new queen will have more room? Should they over-winter this way?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Thank you to the site and members
Well said, Thank Barry..... he started this..... large commercial to one hive hobbiest.... young & old..... west coast to the east coast & beyond, all right here in the same pot.... pretty neat if you think about it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Great post Pyro, I concur! I just started keeping bees this season and most everything I have a question about I have found answers to in the archives but if I do post a question it has been answered in short order. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
11,481 Posts
Yes. And where has Barry been lately? I enjoyed his posts and had considered dropping him a message to see if he is still alive! :scratch:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Add extra frames the same as you would for any other hive, once they get 80-90% drawn out add another box, you will get a boost in population as some of the capped brood hatches out, but, then your population will level off or drop some until your new queen starts getting brood of her own hatched out. You are about 30 days out from your new queen laying any eggs and then 21 days before any of those eggs hatch. So don't give them too much room. I have no advice for overwintering in MD.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Add extra frames the same as you would for any other hive, once they get 80-90% drawn out add another box, you will get a boost in population as some of the capped brood hatches out, but, then your population will level off or drop some until your new queen starts getting brood of her own hatched out. You are about 30 days out from your new queen laying any eggs and then 21 days before any of those eggs hatch. So don't give them too much room. I have no advice for overwintering in MD.
X2 Good info John stated.

Pyro, I'm about 50 miles South of you. They will overwinter fine in a 5 over 5 in your location. If we get a great Goldenrod flow this fall, keep an eye on them for overcrowding.

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
Yes. And where has Barry been lately?
Hanging in the shadows lately, OT. Had ankle surgery end of last year that occupied my winter. Been busy with some projects I had lined up once I could get the use of my foot back. Trying to stay on top of all the back end stuff keeps me busy.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advise. Above is a picture of the cells. They are all capped now. None of the bees transferred went back to parent hive. There are a lot of bees in this nuc. Just do not want there to be over crowding. Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts