Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So its over 75°F out there, and I realized that when I pulled the foam boards from inside the hive and put the wax foundation frames back in that I put them all over on the far side, leaving it lopsided. So I decided to move all the frames over a couple spaces so that the occupied frames were in the center of the hive, and I could use the opportunity to do a full inspection.

Saw where they were storing that new buttery yellow pollen they've been bringing in, saw an unused queen cup, no worries there. Couple of hive beetles, going to have to refill the trap and put it back in, but it was just a couple, so no life threatening emergency there either. No brood at all that I could see, but its only been warm enough to break cluster for a few days now, and still chilly at night, I wouldn't expect them to have a huge brood going right now anyway.

What I didn't see that would have concerned me otherwise was stores. All of the frames were empty, no capped honey stores at all. I saw plenty of cells partially filled with the syrup I put on for them the other day, but other than that, I'm fairly certain that the only reason I still have that hive is due to the candy board I put on there.

I put it on last fall with an attitude of "better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it", and boy did that turn out to be the right decision.

Gotta make sure I keep that feeder full while the weather is good so they can refill the tanks.

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
Sounds like your supplemental feeding was necessary. Until they have a couple frames of capped stores of some kind, I would sure keep feeding.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Mine were all over the protein patty and the dry sugar I put on a couple weeks ago when I found the hive much lighter than I wanted.

Candy boards are cheap insurance, so is a pile of sugar on newspaper in a feeder rim. Won't go to waste since you can make syrup out of it in the spring, but will keep them alive until things start to bloom in a bad winter.

Peter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts