Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have mostly double deeps in central Texas. Bottom deeps have all the bees and mostly empty comb. Too deep has stores. Maybe 4-5 frames of honey. They seem light to me so I’d like to feed. We have nice temps (upper 60s) for a week. I plan on feeding everyone a gallon tomorrow and peak in and see how the took it in 4 days.

If they suck it down and weather stays in the 60s, I’ll likely feed again. Is there any danger in that much syrup (uncapped) going in a hive this time of year?

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Probably not going to hurt anything but I wouldn't get too carried away with the feed this time of year assuming they have 4 to 5 frames of honey ahead of them. Remember you are also introducing a lot of liquid in the hive with the feed and that can be detrimental when temps are cool. Bees won't consume much till the queen gets fired up again in late Jan to early February. Thats when the stores can disappear pretty quickly.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I weigh my hives and feed to target in September. I shoot for about 40lb. Your in warmer Texas but it still seems a bit late to try to cram in a significant amount of weight. A qt or two really isn't that much.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Consider some form of dry sugar, bricks (search for lauri millers recipe), or mountain camp, (a sheet of damp newspaper on the top bars with sugar on top, some spray a little water on the top of the pile to glue it together so the bees don't take it out as trash). If it's still there in the spring you can remove it and dissolve it in water for syrup.
Bill

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I fed liquid up until the temp drop about a week+ ago. After it warmed back up I noticed a moisture problem. If feeding liquid this late, you may want to add moisture control.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts