Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple questions about beekeeping in Texas.
How often do I need to requeen my hive? Due to AFB
Can AFB take over a hive that is queen right?

How long do I need to keep feeding them. The bees are taking a half a gallon every three days. The bees already filled up their first ten frames and are working on their second box ( four frames full as of today ).
I am feeding 1:1 surgar syrup + honey bee healthy + amino b boost from dadant.
Both Deeps have brood, pollen and honey.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
234 Posts
im going through 2 gallons, one of water and one of 1:1 per day...

texas isn't fun..

I'm told to requeen every 2 years... and i think afb is actually kinda rare, but then im a newbee...

Feed them till they ignore it... they want flowers more than 1:1... lots of flowers, they ignore the mix... if no flowers, that's all they can get for food..

D
college station

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
How often do I need to requeen my hive? Due to AFB
I assume you are in the "Live Oak" Texas that is close to San Antonio Texas. Usually AFB stands for American Foulbrood, but I am going to assume that you mean Africanized honeybees [AHB] and will address your question as such.
To me if the queen has gone through a busy year then I would requeen annually. If you have meager flows and just average brood production, most would probably say 2-3 years. Be sure to have your queens marked and requeen when she is super ceeded. Different parts of Texas will require different management for AHB. You're in an area where AHB will be more prevalent so therefore I would not try raising my own queens.

Yes. Some use queen excluders to help solve this problem. It might be required if you are in a rural areal with heavy AHB influence. Most important is to monitor their temperment. You also might try Cordovans, but others maybe should weighn in on these. Also, private message Joseph Clemons, from Tucson as his can probably enlighten you on AHB management techniques.

How long do I need to keep feeding them. The bees are taking a half a gallon every three days. The bees already filled up their first ten frames and are working on their second box ( four frames full as of today ).
If you have nectar and pollin production I would cease and desist, but make sure they have some sealed honey. Then monitor them for their progress and adjust accordingly. Be sure they have an adequate water supply close by as it gets hot in Texas and it helps to have a close source of water. I normally don't feed 1:1. I figure if they need feeding I will feed 2:1, but 1:1 would probably be good in your area because of the heat, as they will need less water for evaporation to cool the colony.

Kindest Regards From central part of deep East Texas.
Danny

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Africanized bees do not "take over" a hive as the media portrays. Your queen is replaced by age or injury and the new queen mates with AHB drones contributing dominant Africanized genetics to the new queen's offspring. Cape bees do take over hives. Fortunately they are not here yet. Getting marked queens you will know when she is not the queen you enjoyed last inspection. Requeening varies from every six months to two years. If you ask a dozen beekeepers and beehavers you will get 18 answers. For the excluder, an unmated or just mated queen might slip through your excluder. It will offer you a false sense of security. Africanized bees are slightly smaller so do not expect to keep them out with an excluder.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Cordovan is a recessive trait. If you use the gentle Cordovan, you will notice a temperment change immediately. The color darkens in Cordovan from dominant genetics like Africanized so it will give you a visual cue as you smoke the front of the hive. If the bees are light almost straw color, they have not picked up AHB. David Miksa sells wonderful Cordovans. I have been using them for teaching hives two years now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I actually like a little AHB in my bees. But my hives are remote from people.

Makes them a bit hot, but they are more resistant to mites and SHB. Just have a full suit and a smoker handy. If any hive is too out of control aggressive, find the queen and pinch her. They will make another that is likely to be a tad less hostile.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts