Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
They are pretty lucky those arent my hives. There would have been a serious ***** whipping.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Now that was funny. It wasn't vandalism, just dumb curiosity. Sooner or later the bees would have put a stop to it.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
At 2:08 she says "mom says stop". They seem to have some parental supervision. I'm guessing its the families hives because of their comfort level around bees.

·
Registered
652 Posts
At 2:08 she says "mom says stop". They seem to have some parental supervision. I'm guessing its the families hives because of their comfort level around bees.
parental supervision doesn't always mean squat....

"While on a trip on the backroads and in the backwoods of somewhere in Texas we spotted an endless line of boxes. They looked like filing cabinets from afar. We crossed their barbed wire fence to check out the boxes and much to our amazement, they ended up being some type of houses for probably millions of honey bees." - video description. doesn't sound like they are very familiar at all.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have a few colonies of bees that I would be more than happy for them to fool around with.

·
Registered
288 Posts
i think most kids around that age would do something similar when confronted with bee hives and someone egging them on. at least I probably would have, the put them back together so were not trying to cause a problem.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
They had to be some nice calm bees in Texas... With the dark long hair and flailing around I expected 20 or so to go into attack mode.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Live and learn. City kids don't have a clue about the real world. At least they are curious about the world around them and not completely close minded. I'll bet if they had a father or grandad that had bees...they would bee bitten by the bee bug.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
This brings back some nice memories. I kept bees and sold honey from late 70's through mid 80's until the prices collapsed. When my 2nd oldest daughter [Haylie] was 5 and my oldest son [Daniel] was 3 [would have been 1988]. I quit keeping Bees for profit during the mid 80's when the honey prices collapsed with the importation of Chinese honey; although I kept about 3 colonies for my own use. Haylie had tried to take the top off one of these colonies but couldn't because of course it was glued down. I had Caucasian bees offspring of my Midnites. One day Haylie takes a butter knife and Daniel with her to pry off the top which she did. I remember for some time afterwards when I would take Daniel with me to walk about the place, whenever Daniel would see the bees colonies he would point out and declare bad bees, bad bees. Years later Haylie explained that she had managed to pry the lid off and some of the bees had gotten hung up in her hair and she was hollering at them no, no, bad bees, bad bees [she didn't recall either her or Daniel getting stung]. I later found the butter knife and wondered what it was doing at the bee colonies. It was years later when Haylie revealed the mystery to me and on occasion it still brings back fond memories, and even Daniel recalls the event with his partner in crime.

Kindest Regards
Danny Unger

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Girls are so cute!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts