Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I had a similar situation a few years back when my bees were foraging along the 2 lane road where I live, passing vehicles was hitting the bees and I seen a great many buzzing in small circles on the roadway looking for all the world like a pesticide kill. I quickly retrieved my string trimmer and knocked the flora down that was attracting them and the problem was abated. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I went out on a swarm call last week where,"...the bees are falling out of the tree". This was the Tuesday after Mother's Day. The Saturday before Mother's Day was warm 70's Mother's Day it snowed all day. Monday and Tuesday were sunny but cool 50's in the day and below freezing at night.
There were dead bees in the street within 20 ft of the swarm. There were in fact clumps of bees dropping from the main cluster, and I did find the (a) queen on the ground just as I pulled up.
My guess, in my case, was that the bees froze and the falling clumps were just dead bees being shed from the cluster. The cluster was a good distance up and the only extension ladder that the homeowner's neighbor had was a 12 footer. At this point there was only 1-2cups of bees in the cluster. I came back later with my 24 fter but the cluster was gone. I gathered what I could from the ground but none survived.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts