Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a chance to look over the features of the 7-frame Apimaye nuc this past weekend at the Hive Life Conference and decided to order one today to put it through the paces. The nuc holds 7 frames, or it can be divided into two 3-frame mating nucs. I will be using it in the 3 frame configuration. I used the coupon code TN10 and got 10% off and free shipping, so the total cost was $153. I'll get that and then some from the first nuc I sell that was started in this hive. Note the coupon expires 1/15/21 so if you are interested in purchasing one, don't wait.

I hope to post updates and compare the development of the two mating nucs with two other wood mating nucs started at the same time. See if the insulation appears to make a difference to the initial nuc growth.

·
Registered
About 30 hives
789 Posts
I have two I ordered a month or so ago, got to break one out a couple days ago, found a weak hive in Torpor.
I put them in the insulated nuc with some fresh stores, and they are all out and about ever since.
Mine was $155 on Amazon but had to pay shipping, they are awesome.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That's a nice size for a mating nuc. I grew up using 8 frame nucs with a dividing board and an entrance on each side. I just built 50 of them with the idea of filling them up this spring but my machine shop business has taken off and I won't have time for all of them.
Wood Box Hardwood Packaging and labeling Rectangle Colorfulness Rectangle Toy block Plastic Paper product

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was looking at them. Looked like a neat product. Keep me in the loop. Curious how the winters and the bees creating condensation work out.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I also decided to give the apimaye hives a try after seeing it in person at the conference. I ordered the 7 frame nuc and also a double brood ergo hive. I am anxious to give it a try this season. I'll be looking forward to seeing how things go for you as well.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,379 Posts
I had a chance to look over the features of the 7-frame Apimaye nuc this past weekend at the Hive Life Conference and decided to order one today to put it through the paces. The nuc holds 7 frames, or it can be divided into two 3-frame mating nucs. I will be using it in the 3 frame configuration. I used the coupon code TN10 and got 10% off and free shipping, so the total cost was $153. I'll get that and then some from the first nuc I sell that was started in this hive. Note the coupon expires 1/15/21 so if you are interested in purchasing one, don't wait.

I hope to post updates and compare the development of the two mating nucs with two other wood mating nucs started at the same time. See if the insulation appears to make a difference to the initial nuc growth.

The Insulation will help a lot.
you should like these IMP In My Prediction

GG

·
Moderator - In Memorium
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you should like these IMP In My Prediction

GG
That is what I am afraid of. I already have 20 some 5-frame deep wooden nucs with medium supers for each one. I hate to think what it would cost to replace them with the Apimaye hives...

Reactions: Gray Goose

·
Premium Member
Mutts.
356 Posts
Anyone know which plastic hive is mostly yellow with a gray top and black base? Not seen one in person yet but the tiny start up beekeeping supply near me just posted pictures of them on their FB page. No name or price... Will go look as soon as they open back up. Obviously not an Apimaye nor any I have seen elsewhere. Yes, I could ask them but that would require posting on FB :(

·
Moderator - In Memorium
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you try the coupon code anyway? Sometimes they work past the "expiration" date. The two active coupons I found online are for specific products. I am hoping that Korhan will occasionally post coupons here on Beesource.

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,541 Posts
That is what I am afraid of. I already have 20 some 5-frame deep wooden nucs with medium supers for each one. I hate to think what it would cost to replace them with the Apimaye hives...
If the insulation helps could you just wrap your existing nucs with styrafoam sheets from the hardware store?

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
631 Posts
Make sure that if you are going to put that near a house, and that house has new 2 layer glass that you keep it out of the reflection. My Rubbermaid Shed has a melt/warp to it where the window reflects onto it :( Door is now ruined.
If you want a pic I will get one for you later. It did take 2 years for this to happen but the worst was this past year.

edit- If you ever see those X reflection on the ground or on close neighbor house, that is what it is from. I sure hope that my New neighbor that is building 30' behind me isn't using plastic siding. But I am sure they will since they have some shoddy work going on over there.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the insulation helps could you just wrap your existing nucs with styrafoam sheets from the hardware store?
Where is the "cool" factor in that? No, I wouldnt really replace them, just buy additional. VA does not get cold enough to fully take advantage of the insulation. Heck, my work hive has 1/4" plywood sides and the bees are doing great so far.

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,541 Posts
Where is the "cool" factor in that? No, I wouldnt really replace them, just buy additional. VA does not get cold enough to fully take advantage of the insulation. Heck, my work hive has 1/4" plywood sides and the bees are doing great so far.
hmmmm, what is the next step to up your cool factor?

Maybe going with some of those hexagon hives?

or a massive bee shed painted to look like a giant bee

·
Moderator - In Memorium
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hmmmm, what is the next step to up your cool factor?

Maybe going with some of those hexagon hives?

or a massive bee shed painted to look like a giant bee
The cathedral hive is a good way to show off woodworking skills but a crappy way to keep bees, I'll pass

Great idea on the shed...but, maybe in my next lifetime. :p No, cool is spending $150 on something with a lot of bells and whistles that you don't really need, when a $15 item would do the same job. I built all but three of my existing nucs and am actually quite happy with them.

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,541 Posts
The cathedral hive is a good way to show off woodworking skills but a crappy way to keep bees, I'll pass
hmm, had never heard of that hive before now. it sort of looks like a topbar looking at the pictures. Does it have some problems that top bars do not?

I made a deep box into a 3x 3 frame box this winter, I will see how it works out next summer.

is there some advantage to the apimaye nuc having 2 (or 3) entrances for each side (front disc and bottom, maybe back disc) over just having one?

·
Moderator - In Memorium
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hmm, had never heard of that hive before now. it sort of looks like a topbar looking at the pictures. Does it have some problems that top bars do not?

I made a deep box into a 3x 3 frame box this winter, I will see how it works out next summer.
The top bar is three pieces, each cut to a 30 degree angle. The joint itself is weak so it has to be splined as well. Other than that, it is just a fancy looking TBH with large sections of unsupported comb..

I should have given the four two-frame vs three three-frame mating nuc from a factory made deep box idea a little bit more thought yesterday. Carefully measured and this is what happened.

Tan Tints and shades Beige Abdomen Symbol

If I had made it a three frame nuc the grooves for the dividers would have missed the handle recess.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,379 Posts
The top bar is three pieces, each cut to a 30 degree angle. The joint itself is weak so it has to be splined as well. Other than that, it is just a fancy looking TBH with large sections of unsupported comb..

I should have given the four two-frame vs three three-frame mating nuc from a factory made deep box idea a little bit more thought yesterday. Carefully measured and this is what happened.

View attachment 61760

If I had made it a three frame nuc the grooves for the dividers would have missed the handle recess.
good spot for some propolis :)

And I will remember this feature when splitting 10 F Deeps into 2 parts.
thanks for the pic.

GG

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,541 Posts

View attachment 61760

oops

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Yes, I could ask them but that would require posting on FB
Don't resort to that. ;)

I've seen a lot of Lyson stuff advertised in yellow particularly the larger boxes in Australia. American Langstroth Beehive - W1107 — Lyson Beekeeping Supplies Australia

I should also mention that the Lyson 6-frames I'm always touting should be painted (I have not but they should be), whereas the Apimaye stuff has the finish done. The Lyson polystyrene is the hard kind, still soft enough to install screws without chunking out, but I should paint them. The landing boards have something akin to gel coat used to pop out fiberglass parts. It is thin and flaking a bit after a short time. While the poly underneath will probably stand a few years of UV, if I don't paint them my gut says 5 years instead of 10-15. Don't know how long Apimaye will wear, someone else could chime in on that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts