Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an ant hill 15' from my hives. the ants are red & black. I have been feeding my hives they all have new foundations. the ants are all over. In the past I have mixed Terro ant killer with honey, put near anthills and have eliminated them. Anyone have suggestions for getting rid of these ants. I don't want to bait the bees with a sweet tasting poison. lb

·
Registered
206 Posts
The terro would attract the bees b/c of the sweet. It has Borax in it and will kill bees as well.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Orthene works good and does not have a sugar carrier in it.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
If you're just talking a mound or two....A bunch of gas and a match. That's the fun way.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The other day I sprayed Orange Oil on the feet of my hive stand. So far no issues. Orange oil is supposed to be all natural and safe to use around children, pets, and food.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have way to many anthills around my place. and a wide variety. Orange oil? gonna torch the hill that I see, would like to eliminate the hills I can't see. my hives are getting much visitation from the vermin ant scum. thanks for the replies, like to get more ideas....got gas, match, & locality...lb pyro

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Grant ant spikes. I got em at Walmart. Bees won't bother and are unharmed. They carry it back to their hill and it kills them, Last year I had a mound about 15' away and used these spikes stuck at the post holding my hive stand, Within a month no ants, all gone. this year same thing except I don't know where the mound is. So spikes out, within 3 weeks, ants gone.
Also I have heard that you can pour used motor oil around their entrance points and they won't cross it, but thats illegal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts