Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the rules for harvesting honey from a hive that was treated with terramyacin with the honey super on?
:) or :no:

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
IF you follow the directions when applying it you can use the honey.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
IF you follow the directions when applying it you can use the honey.
Because, if he had he wouldn't have used TM while honey supers were on, right honeyman?

Whose rules are being asked about? Federal or State Law? Or what? Or are you asking how bad or how much exposure to TM would there be if you harvested ther honey?

When did you apply the TM? How did you apply the TM? Where did you apply it? What amount did you apply? What ratio of TM to powdered sugar did you use? Did you use powdered sugar?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,094 Posts
Reality is the bees move things around all the time. So if you feed TM it will be in you honey even if you didn't have the supers on... but the rule is you don't have supers on when you feed it so that you can pretend that doesn't happen...

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
From a packer-"Terramycin breaks down quickly when exposed to moisture so after a month it will not be detectable in honey"

Is this a fact? I don't know but I have heard this from other beekeepers(commercial) also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the info on TERRAMYCIN. The replies were interesting but I am still unsure so I guess I won't use the supers except for bee food. I just wonder how honey could be tested.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Contact a local packer and tell them exactly what you wanted your honey tested for. Germany is very advanced on their honey testing methods.

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
Germany is very advanced on their honey testing methods.
I'm thinkin' (hoping?) that she can find someone closer than Germany....although one does occasionally wonder about those Texans :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts