Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 242 Posts

· Registered
127 Posts
Dayton, Tennessee, up on Walden's Ridge, first swarm was the last day of April, 07. Huge swarm, on low limb, captured easily and built up quickly, though, comb a bit odd. Italians mostly, I think...
RBar

· Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
One swarm moved into a swarm box on 5/24/2008 - 13850
One swarm took off as we (my son and I) were walking up to it on 5/26/2008 - 13732
One swarm moved into a swarm box on 5/27/2008 - 13850
One swarm in a honeysuckle (captured) at the airport 5/27/2008 - 13901

So, the season has started with the first break in the weather here. We had a stellar Memorial day weekend.

· Registered
330 Posts
A hive that swarmed.

Hive swarmed. Swasrm was about the size of 2 basketballs.

06-09-08 @ 8:30am. 38111 zip.

Temps in the 90's for about the past week with no rainfor the last 8 days.

Watched them fly from a hive that contained a swarm captured 04-08. They landed in an oak tree about 50' up. When we attempted to capture the swarm the bucket was about 5' shy of reaching them. Bucket was then gently let down careful to not disturbe the swarm. Went to retrive a latter to gain the distance, took about 10 minutes to do so. Returned to observe the tail end of the swarm leaving and could not relocate it. From time swarm left the hive to time they left their staging position was about 2 1/2 hours total.

Hive was 2 deeps both boxes contained about 3 or 4 empty frames each. With screened bottom board. Pollen trap on the main entrence. Pollen production had dropped from about 1 lb per day to about 4oz per day for about 3 days prior to swarmming. No other hives have swarmed in this apiary however there are hives that are more populated than this one was.

Would like to say Merry Christmas in June to whomever may recive this swarm and may they be productive for you.
P.S. The queen will be marked "Red".

· Registered
1,421 Posts
Smrnya, TN

Got a call today for a swarm at the same house I went to on Easter Sunday. That one left my nuc after I got it home. This one is hanging on the lowest limb of the tree that has a bee hive in it. Unfortuneately I am not in TN. Home visiting family. Called a beekeeper at home and he is going to go and get the swarm. These are great bees because this beehive they came from has been in this tree for a very long time!!!!

1 - 20 of 242 Posts