...But I'm still "on the fence".

I'm thinking about the frames that are already in use and the trouble
it would be to deal with them. And what about the pf120 frames? How do
they like being pushed through a saw?

I'm picturing an apocalyptic scene if one attempts to cut frames of
brood down. :eek:

One drawback would be that my five frame nuc boxes would have a wider
gap on the sides.

On the other hand, it looks like twin nucs/divided nucs could be built (similar to http://www.newenglandfarms.com/more.php?product_id=41 ) with one side made out of 1/4 plywood.

The thin sides of two boxes would meet at the center... I would need to triple check measurements, but it looks like narrow frames would allow one to overwinter 4-frame "modified nucs" on an eight frame box.

Now that I have reached the end of this posting I think I'll stick with the standard frame width... :)

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
If you use a standard 10-frame or 8-frame super, trimming the end bars to 1-1/4" will allow you to put eleven frames in the 10-frame boxes and nine frames in the 8-frame boxes. There will be almost the same space between each end frame and the super side wall.

Just a short while ago there were some threads where details of means and methods were discussed. It was determined that PF120's could be trimmed by using a router (in a router table), set up as a vertical jointer to trim the end bars 1/16" off each edge.

Here is a link to the thread about trimming end bars on PF120's Trimming PF120 end bars

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
There will be almost the same space between each end frame and the super side wall.
If we were able to make exact cuts there would be no difference for a 10-frame box: 10/8" removed would equal the width of the 11th frame.

On an 8-frame box a total of one inch is removed and a 1 1/4" inch frame added. So eight frame boxes will have approx. 1/8" less gap on each side.

Which is, as you say almost the same.

It may reduce some burr comb but I wouldn't expect much of a difference. I wish there would be.

I am fairly fond of my pf-120's and if I get more I have a friend with a shop who would assist with trimming them down.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
It may reduce some burr comb but I wouldn't expect much of a difference. I wish there would be.

I use 1 1/4 frames in my broodboxes. What is burr comb?

If you scroll to the 2:15 mark, I show what 1 1/4 frames look like in an active hive, and show the lack of burr comb between frames.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMVwNHn8bzc

I use a tablesaw to trim 1/16 of each side of the ends bars on the Mann Lake PF frames. They are super easy to trim. I stand them on end, and hold them against the saw fence and run them through.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have some burr comb between the box sides and side frames...

I will still have fairly large side spacing after cutting down the frames. You must have had the same side spacing with 1 3/8" frames.

I guess I have fat boxes...

Countryboy,

are you reversing the blade to cut the plastic, or using different blade?

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
I will still have fairly large side spacing after cutting down the frames.

Then stick 11 frames in the brood box. They will fit.

are you reversing the blade to cut the plastic, or using different blade?

No. No.

I use a normal carbide tipped ripping blade for cutting the plastic frames. I treat it just like I was cutting wood.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was getting close to cutting some frames yesterday but then I started to think about some of my hives that have slatted racks. I'm guessing that there would be one or more issues with 9 frames positioned above 8 slats.

Most of my slatted racks are homemade and could be modified...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts