Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a novice beekeeper(does not even have his 1st starter nuke yet), who stumbled onto a colony in the side of a house that he is renovating here in the Finger Lakes of New York. Of course, he wants to save them from the spray foam insulation that is coming Monday. He plans on doing a cut-out today, alone, 10-12 feet in the air, on a ladder, having never worked with Bee's before. I am astounded by his false sense of security really.
In searching the net for the ideal temperature to do a cut-out, I come up empty. It will be a struggle to even get into the 50's today here in NY, with rain and temps forecast this evening into the 40's tells me this guy may be in for a very painful, and possibly deadly day. My question is have any of you ever performed a cut-out in such "non-ideal" temperatures, and if so, what advice can I give him? He seams so bull-headed about getting them out, I fear the recipe for disaster simply awaits his arrival and a little insult to the potential injury.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
I have never done it but if he was in a hurry I would suggest using a shop vac at the entrance and maybe a little rapping on the walls to encourage the guards to come out before I opened up the walls. I am assuming he has protective clothing.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
I would be surprised if they will do the job if the bees are still there.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
My question is have any of you ever performed a cut-out in such "non-ideal" temperatures....
Yes, I have never had ideal anything during a cut out. He does renovation work? I suppose he is pretty hand with ladders and sharp objects. Everyone starts with 0 experience. sounds to me like you can't take "I'm not asking you" as an answer. But it does not sound to me like your friend is.

So my advice to your friend would be to put tape over your mouth and get to work on the cut out.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
It sounds like their days are numbered very short where they have to be out of there by Monday. He has a great learning opportunity and a chance to save them. A 50 degree cutout would be better than being cast in foam. Offer typical cutout advice or even go with him on it. If you go with him, go in the spirit of supporting what he's doing and don't be against him on it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Regarding DanielD's advice ...thank you. Morale Support and advice is all I am able to give him at present.

Regarding Daniel Y, I am not sure what Daniel Y is saying here? I have been absolutely supportive by giving him advice, so putting tape over my mouth is the most NON-brilliant advice possible. Dan Y, if your attempt was to be a smart-ass then allow me to point out I have had major surgery this week and I am unable to attend, otherwise I would. In the future why don't you keep your smart-ass remarks to yourself. This is a proactive forum, not a reactive forum. And if your attempt was purely humor in nature, then you failed miserably.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Let's all play nicely or as grandma used to say if you don't have anything nice to say then keep it to yourself :)

I did my first rescue yesterday got a call of a swarm that had moved into a BBQ grilled on a 2nd story deck of condo... When I showed up it was 50 and raining so not ideal anyway but I still did it... The crazy thing was I had anticipated the bees being inside the grill but they had built the comb on the side of the grill order the cover... The owner said they had only been there for 3 weeks but they had already built 7 decent sized rows of comb and 4-5 where full or brood.. It was very cool and only got stung once...

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Regarding DanielD's advice ...thank you. Morale Support and advice is all I am able to give him at present.

Regarding Daniel Y, I am not sure what Daniel Y is saying here? I have been absolutely supportive by giving him advice, so putting tape over my mouth is the most NON-brilliant advice possible. Dan Y, if your attempt was to be a smart-ass then allow me to point out I have had major surgery this week and I am unable to attend, otherwise I would. In the future why don't you keep your smart-ass remarks to yourself. This is a proactive forum, not a reactive forum. And if your attempt was purely humor in nature, then you failed miserably.
gh, your post just had some harsh or dramatic sounding words towards this guy's plans. I first took it as though you were standing against the guy, but give you the benefit of not knowing where your heart is at in this. I look forward to hearing about your surgery results and the cutout as well. Make sure the guy gives you details on his adventure in the bee saving episode so we can hear about it. Pictures would be good, but I can figure a first cutout could be too intense to care about photos.

I hope your surgery goes well for you.

·
Registered
693 Posts
At the very least the gentleman who is doing the cut-out will gain experience; he could be quite successful with guidance and perhaps a latecomer will show up and can hold his hand while on the ground looking up.

For certain he is going to need no less than an empty nuc or deep brood box with foundation. A lot of equipment is going to be needed quickly.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I have never done it but if he was in a hurry I would suggest using a shop vac at the entrance and maybe a little rapping on the walls to encourage the guards to come out before I opened up the walls.
"I have never done it ..." Obviously. I don't know what you expect such a suggestion to do, but it won't do what you think it might. I don't know why you do that.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
It will be a struggle to even get into the 50's today here in NY, with rain and temps forecast this evening into the 40's tells me this guy may be in for a very painful, and possibly deadly day. My question is have any of you ever performed a cut-out in such "non-ideal" temperatures, and if so, what advice can I give him? He seams so bull-headed about getting them out, I fear the recipe for disaster simply awaits his arrival and a little insult to the potential injury.
You may have done just about all you can do for your friend. You may wish to protect yourself by staying away.

Your friend really needs more than a ladder. Does he have access to scaffolding or some sort of platform he could stand on? What about a bee suit and veil? What's he going to put them in?

Oft times in life one has to do things when they can, not when they want to.

·
Super Moderator
11,246 Posts
> What's he going to put them in?

What he has, shop vac.

So, Acebird, do you vacuum up the cut-out comb when you do your cut-outs? :scratch:

Could it be that Mark's point is that the prospective beekeeper doing the cutout might do better to put the comb in some hive bodies to do this cutout properly? :s

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
What he has, shop vac.
Brian, take your shop vac out to your hives and suck up some bees and see what it does to them.

Have you read anything about cut outs and how they are done? One does not simply suck everything up into a shop vac.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
My question is have any of you ever performed a cut-out in such "non-ideal" temperatures, and if so, what advice can I give him?
My advice:

1. Scaffolding if he can find/rent it
2. A bee vac would be a huge help to a beginner - a shop vac WILL KILL EVERY BEE IT VACUUMS UP. DO NOT USE A SHOP VAC.
3. A friend to help him (preferably with cut out experience)

How much has he read about cut outs? Sometimes, one has to do what one has to do.

Shane

·
Banned
4,229 Posts
If he's doing the renovation, he should inform the owner (unless it's him) to subcontract a beekeeper who does cutouts.

Why screw around with a job and stinging insects?

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Here is the thing. We are hearing this story second hand, not from the horses mouth. It sounds like this person is going to do the extraction come hell or high water. My thoughts were to weaken the colony down to the nurse bees which are less likely to sting. I made no mention of sucking up the comb. If he just rips open the wall 12 ft in the air he could get hurt.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts