Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to enclose a hive temporarily with a canvas type tent during the day time? Will this harm the bees in anyway even if there is proper circulation? If this isn't recommended what would you recommend I do in order to contain the bees in a single location. We need to keep them contained due to a wedding going on during the day.

I have zero experience in bees as these are not my bees, but my mother-in-law's and I'm asking for my own interest and would like professional guidance on how to handle such a situation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I'm unfamiliar with bee keeping terms. To "SCREEN" them; is there a specific accessory/way to do this or do i simply build a screen box to go over the hive?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Bees will stay in the hive at night. Any openings you will need to place some sort of screen over it. They will need ventilation so don't plug the holes up.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
one of the common responses to an attack of robber bees is to cover the hive with a wet sheet, for a day .
Another similar occurrence would be when a farmer is spraying his field, we would cover the hive again with a sheet .
as others said, do this at night, or _very_ early in the morning.
If the bees are bearded out side the hive, don't worry about it, just drape the sheet over all of it. it is not supposed to be tight.
If you really want to be a good guy, place water soaked towel in a pan under the hive.
Have a good time at the wedding
. PS, if there is a wonderful nectar source, some of the bees may be from "other" hives

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
If it's a hot day, I'd hesitate to contain them in the hive, unless you are running a sprinkler over the top and they have a screened bottom board. I did have my bees in a screen tent for one reason or another my first season. They made an absolute mess of the lining with their cleansing flights but no one escaped. I suppose it's a possibility, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it.

Tent Outdoor structure Shed Shade

1 - 6 of 6 Posts