Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where I am I can’t have a true observation hive where the bees can fly in and out, but I suddenly thought, “what about a temporary one that I only run for a short time and the bees are confined, or even intermittently. There are some observations that I want to make that would consist of having an OH in operation for a week straight, and then later perhaps only a couple of days. Any tips, comments, advice, funny stories?

Waya

·
Registered
122 Posts
I made one of these back in high school. It worked fine. I just pulled a frame for a few days, etc. I would make sure the queen is not on it when you do.

Quint

·
Registered
440 Posts
I am doing a demonstration for my daughter’s class. I was thinking about borrowing an ob hive and pulling a couple of frames (queen included) temporarily, maybe 4 or 5 hours. Do you think this will cause the hive problems?
Thanks

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thoughts from a noob:

If it's a week straight, the girls will have to "hold it" for a week. How about putting them out in a fixed location about an hour before sunset every day? That way they could make cleansing flights and carry out dead and debris. When they come home to roost you can plug the hive and bring it back inside. Seems more natural to me.

Lead Pipe,
If the queen isn't marked the kids won't know which bee you are pointing to. If she is marked you still have to ask yourself if it's worth stressing her. Not a big deal if you have 100 hives.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Hi Lead Pipe--couple hours will not hurt a thing. Just don't let the glass O HIve sit in the sun or hot unattended vehicle and you will be just fine!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts