Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm located in northern Indiana. We've had a long winter and just recently starting to warm up into the lower 50's to upper 50's. I have one hive that's 3 deeps tall that I'd like to reduce down to 2. How warm should it be outside to full open up the hive and inspect every frame?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Seems to me that once you pull a frame, the rest can slide over for a cursory inspection from the top. No need to pull them out completely unless you are culling them, right? Fifties is warm, if you ask me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't open my hives if the bees are not flying. I let the bees be the judge if the temp is warm enough and it works for me here on Ok.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I struggle with the same question. I've tried to make sure it was close to 60 degrees F, but with the ridiculous winter, I don't have that option or I would not have been able to do ANYTHING yet. I like what Merl said about the bees flying. I guess if they can come out to play I can come over and join them.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I don't open my hives if the bees are not flying. I let the bees be the judge if the temp is warm enough and it works for me here on Ok.
My bees fly at 38 degrees. I would not want to be pulling frames and doing a complete inspect at that temp.
I feel more confident with temps in the 60's with no wind is what I follow.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I wait for the thermometer to hit 60 before doing in invasive inspection. I pop tops for a very quick look as long as the temp is above 10 degrees. I install packages when I get them and don't worry too much about the temperature. I do look at the weather forecast though.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I will open a hive if the bees are flying but a complete inspection I want it to be 60 or above.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
If you got a hive three deeps tall right now, you should be able to pull the bottom box off completely, it should not have any brood in it at this time of year, the bulk of the bees and queen will be up higher in the hive. If its in the fifties and sunny and you're not pulling individual frames, you can do it now no problem, just get the hive back together in a reasonable amount of time.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I also will open a hive if the bees are flying (45F+) but wait for a 60F+ day (little or no wind) if I am pulling any frames that might have brood....

·
Registered
819 Posts
I open the hive and do what needs to be done when I have the time. I don't pay attention to the temps unless it's in the thirties. If you wait until the weather is perfect for little old ladies, you'll never get much done. IMO, you can ignore 90% of the advice you get here, including mine, and be just fine. :popcorn:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts