Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the northeast late winter at what temperature would you expect robbing to occur? We hit 50 today, Whoohoo, and there was a cloud of bees around all three hives of mine. They were coming and going but I could not detect any fighting. Last week the hives were clean as a whistle and today there was signs of dysentery around the entrance.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am sitting on pins and needles wondering when I can get in the hives to do spring maintenance and maybe give them some honey for expansion. They are predicting the weather to turn cold again and another foot of snow. I THINK WE HAD ENOUGH MOTHER NATURE.:)

·
Registered
421 Posts
I feel for all you guys up North. Here in VA it has been colder than usual, but with breaks in the weather almost every week.
For now to help avoid robbing, keep entrances small but keep allowing ventilation--which I bet you are already doing.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
keep entrances small but keep allowing ventilation--which I bet you are already doing.
We had breaks too but they are short. I don't want to close down my entrances any smaller than they are because it already looks like a jam up after a poop run. My SBB is wide open so ventilation is not an issue. Made that mistake the first year.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Michael, you aren't saying punctuation matters, are you? We know what he means.

"I think we [have] had enough, Mother Nature."

·
Super Moderator
11,152 Posts
Perhaps Ace was really referring to 'Old Man Winter' instead of 'Mother Nature'. :lookout:

If Mother Nature actually went away :eek: we would be in a very tight spot! :ws:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts