Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I pull a full super off, harvest it, and then return the wet frames, what's the hive's temperament going to be like compared with before the harvest?

Will they bee thinking, "We was robbed!!!!" and be more defensive?

Or will they be less defensive because they have fewer stores to defend, and now need to worry more about foraging than defending?

Does this vary deepening on whether they're in a flow or a dearth?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I just harvested 3 mediums supers 2 weeks ago, fully capped and use a fume board and a bee brush-the girls had no interest and kept focused on whatever they were up to. They never tried to get into the plastic tote we loaded the frames into and foragers kept coming and going out front-it was a lot easier than I expected for my first time. We've had a flow here in western NJ that never stopped from March until now and the fall flow looks, to me, incredibly strong. We had only taken 3 of 9 mediums on top of two deeps on two hives. I wasn't sure how the extraction process would work so we held back in caution-easy-peasy, almost 10 gallons. I probably have another 10 gallons on the hive and the girls are flying trying to finish off the three extracted super we put back on . With all the goldenrod, aster and knapweed around, I figure the end of the month we have another big harvest-fingers' crossed-but with bees, anything can happen.

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 7 colonies inc. resource hive
637 Posts
I never dig below their winter configuration so they always have feed on. (So never panicked) I would make a different choice if the honey in our area crystallized but it doesn't. Just returned wet comb and they didn't mind. After a few days they had repaired damage from extraction. I am VERY careful to drape cover cloths over boxes this time of year. Also heavy feeding now. Robbing season is upon us. Robbing screens are on all the hives and I tape seams if I see a gap.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My bees are more defensive after I pull supers for a harvest. When I go to the hive to put on the wet frames they are pissed. How would you feel if someone took all your food?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts