Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always heard that uncapped eggs/larvae needs to be @95 degrees to live. What's does the temp need to be maintained for the capped brood to live?

·
Super Moderator
11,251 Posts
There may not be a temperature difference between larvae and capped brood. Here is a link to a study of internal hive brood area temperature vs outside temperature:
http://library.uniteddiversity.coop/Beekeeping/hive_temperature.pdf

The hourly chart (page 186) show outside temperatures over a 24 hr period varied from 68° F to 108° F, while the temperature in the brood area varied from 92.8° F to 94.1° F. The test hive was in the shade. The experiment was at Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio.

And the excerpt starts on page 181, so you don't have to wade thru hundreds of pages to see the chart.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I think all stages of brood need to be kept in that low 90's range ideally, that's why the bees do what they do, however, I'm pretty sure that capped brood is able to withstand temporary lower temps without harm better than the other stages of brood, because of it being capped insulates it somewhat more, and the pupal skin is bit tougher, just my opinion though.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,182 Posts
I have had a frame of capped brood that was accidentally harvested with the honey, at room temp (70 F) and emerging for days and days after it was removed from the hive. But I do not think this is ideal. I think chilled capped brood is the cause of chalkbrood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts