Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some tell tale sign of a queen without actually opening the hive and doing a deep inspection? I have heard they make a certain buzz if they have no queen, they are more defensive if they are without a queen. In the same token ive heard that if they are bringing in pollen that is a strong indicator that there is a queen and if they are docile another indicator there is a queen. Is there any more tricks. Reason i ask is i have been told by more then one person to give them 10 days of alone time, only refilling feeder and making sure pollen paddy is reloaded. I am 100% sure that the queen was released between the evening on the 20th and the afternoon of the 21st, the next 12 days is going to be in the mid 50s and chance of rain, i know that if it is raining i cant open the hive and i thought that if it isnt at least 60 to also not open the hive. So really today is my one day to check, but if i can no have to open the hive to verify queen is present then that is great.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
What is the cause of this question? If you are curious about what is or isn't going on in your hive why don't you want to open it up and find out for sure? Or am I misinterpreting you and your question?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Patience, the queen's released, they got feed. The only way you can be 110% certain if the queen's there and laying is to pull frames and look for eggs/queen.
I want to get into my hives too, but the weather SUCKS! There I vented, I feel better LOL!

·
Registered
489 Posts
A friend and fellow beek told me the same thing about if the girls are bring in pollen they are doing so on the request of the queen. So this is why I have not gone into my
hives to do a more detailed inspection as well. Just keep giving them sugar water until time for first inspection.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
mark, I believe he has a new package in which the queen as released 5 days ago, He wants to check to be sure she is there and laying, But many, probably including myself, may have advised him to let her settle in for a week to ten days before bothering het too much, The suspense is killing him. as it does with us all in the beginning.

Nhoyt, queens begin laying anywhere from the day they are released to a week, It is always best to give her time to settle in and begin, if for some reason she is slow to get going and you do not find her or eggs you are going to panic, Then most here will tell you give her a few more day.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
What are some tell tale sign of a queen without actually opening the hive and doing a deep inspection?
This is a great question. Looking beyond the package installation period, in general what can anyone suggest to look for "outside" the hive which would indicate that the colony might be queenless?

I've noticed that on queenless colonies the bees coming and going seem to be a bit lethargic, almost like they have lost their drive. On the other hand, observing a queen right hive, the bees seem to be launching out vigorously, and returning with purpose and resolve. Kind of hard to explain, but a noticeable difference.

Any other observations?

·
Registered
535 Posts
This is a great question. Looking beyond the package installation period, in general what can anyone suggest to look for "outside" the hive which would indicate that the colony might be queenless?

I've noticed that on queenless colonies the bees coming and going seem to be a bit lethargic, almost like they have lost their drive. On the other hand, observing a queen right hive, the bees seem to be launching out vigorously, and returning with purpose and resolve. Kind of hard to explain, but a noticeable difference.

Any other observations?
I've noticed this same thing. While queen less the bees may be busy but not much work is getting done. An exception is if there's a flow on field bees will still put up a lot of honey.

I can usually tell when I walk up to the hive the queen has started laying. The bees seem to have a purpose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts