Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came in from putting a triangular escape board under the two supers i plan to harvest. The bees were furious about the intrusion and seemed to ignore the tons of smoke I gave them (20 stings in my clothes and four in me). Now I'm nervous about taking the supers off tomorrow.

I was wondering if I could sneak up on them tomorrow night when they're all in the hive, block the entrance, and then take the supers off. Will this anger them less? Will there still be a lot of bees in the supers after 30 hours with the bee escape? Should I smoke?

Thanks,
Anja

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I will never again do anything with bees at night. Trust me. They don't fly; they crawl. And they will find any tiny little opening in your clothing to slip into and zap you. I moved bees at night once, and one was enough.
Escapes don't really work too well when the nights are warm; not much incentive for them to get out. In that case I either blow them out or fume them out.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
There is another thread running now where robbers emptied the super before the beek got back. In small hive beetle areas 30 hours is long enough to destroy every frame. If enough bees do leave the shb will have a feast.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We don't have SHB here, fortunately.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I totally agree with Tia and AB ! Bees are treacherous at night ! Especially hot bees. You should requeen with a "bought" queen ( later ) and get that hive "cooled off". The bee escape will not be effective. If it was, the honey would be at risk. I would use smoke and/or fumes in daylight.
I inspect my hive with no vail or gloves, only stung once this year.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Our nighttime temps are around 40 degrees right now. I was hoping to have most of the bees moved in the hive body with the escape. I'd close up the entrance completely, put a little (thanks, Michael) smoke in the top, and take off the supers. Perhaps if I did it in the pre-dawn light, instead of the middle of the night? Or should I face their wrath when most of the foragers are out? I want to do it with the least trouble to the bees or myself, and need advice quickly, while I'm in the time parameters for the escape to work.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I was wondering if I could sneak up on them tomorrow night when they're all in the hive, block the entrance, and then take the supers off.
Anja
Dang, how would you feel if someone waited til you were home with your family at night and then stole from you? Someone does that at my house and they will be greeted by a Desert Eagle. :D
Bees tend to me a bit more defensive when it comes to taking their honey taken from them.

C2

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Don't block the entrance. That's kinda like madness. Use smoke before you start messing with them. 30 hours should be fine for the bee escapes. I use the triangular ones and like them. If you wait 72 hours it's too long then the bees start coming back in.

Jean-Marc

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Do it during the day, light smoke, deliberate movements. No need to requeen.
Because of shb, I use fume boards. One on one hive, while it is working I set up the next hive, then return to the first to pull the supers. Since you have no shb in your locale, you have a little bit more time. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anja,

I used triangle escapes this year and they worked amazing. Only 2 bees left in my supers after 24 hours.

Hopefully you will get these messages before you extract today. Work the bees in the middle of the day. You may have a hot hive, and it may be scary, but at least most of the bees will be out foraging. Dusk and dawn are bad times imo b/c many bees are returning/leaving the hive. I don't have to elaborate anymore about working hives at night lol.

Use as little smoke as possible, and only where you are working (i.e. you don't need to smoke the entrance if you are taking supers off the top).

I hope everything works out for you and your bees give you a break :)

-Chris

·
Registered
219 Posts
My personal experience is escape boards work well. However, I don't have SHB in my area. I left my escape on for two days and most of the bees left the supers.

I think if you work from behind the hive entrance you could quickly pull off the supers without much trouble. Give them a few pufs of smoke under the escape, wait a minute and put inner cover and top back on. Any bees remaining on the honey supers can be brushed off or use a leaf blower if there are more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts