Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried a split today, as my TBH is now full. I split into a Langstroth 5 frame foundationless nuc using the rubber band method. I netted a fair amount of honey and left as much brood intact as possible, but only took 3 top bars and left 2 frames with starter strips open on the outside edges of the nuc. Is this right or should I go for filling all 5 lang frames?

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
I tried a split today, as my TBH is now full. I split into a Langstroth 5 frame foundationless nuc using the rubber band method. I netted a fair amount of honey and left as much brood intact as possible, but only took 3 top bars and left 2 frames with starter strips open on the outside edges of the nuc. Is this right or should I go for filling all 5 lang frames?
Which side of the split got the queen?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully my main hive, I looked at the bees I brought over to the new one and didn't see her. My intention was to leave her in the main hive.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Hopefully my main hive, I looked at the bees I brought over to the new one and didn't see her. My intention was to leave her in the main hive.
Unless there's a ton of bees in the nuc it might be difficult for them to raise a decent queen. A booming "full" hive should have no problem raising some good queen candidates. If your goal is to limit the expansion pressure of the original hive I'd think you should move the queen to the nuc. Then your big hive will make a good number of queens and you could maybe even use those cells to make another split if the hive was still very strong. If you leave the queen in strong hive basically all you've done is rob a couple bars of brood from bees that already have plenty.

Of course that's just my limited experience opinion.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a great point. She is hard to spot with so many bees in there now, but that totally makes sense. I only had the start of maybe one or 2 queen cells when I was looking through comb to choose which to rob. Come to think of it, they could have just been drone cells too since they were in drone brood area.

So- anyone have opinions on 3 vs 5 combs for them to start with?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey Striider I have no idea on the 3 vs 5 comb but if you split into a 5 frame Nuc box I have read that you should leave room for them to build so it seems like an ok route to go. I am considering doing the exact same thing you did and have some questions for you. Did you leave the TBH in its original location or did you move it and put the Nuc in the original location? I thought I had read you need to move the hive you are splitting from and put the new hive in its place or maybe I just got that wrong I have never split one before.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have just split a TBH into an 8 frame nuc, dummied down to three frames. I expect the three frames will fill the nuc before winter - we are in the middle of the late summer flow.

If you don't expect a good flow, start with five frames - makes building up for winter easier.

So my answer I guess is: depends on your nectar outlook...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So yeah, I split into a new location with no queen. Doesn't appear to be going well, bees are dwindling in numbers, which weren't high to start with. They have attached the comb a little to the frames, so that's a good thing at least. We have been getting a lot of rain here in Colorado, and I don't think that's helping. Other hive appears to still be super full of bees, but haven't inspected to see if they replaced the 3 combs I stole yet. I think i will try again, this time making sure I get the queen in the new hive.

AdamBeal - hadn't thought of switching locations so workers might come back to the nuc, but that sounds like a valid strategy. Don't think they would all fit in the nuc honestly, though.

Mad - we seem to still have a good flow, but they are still processing most of the honey. The stuff I harvested from the top sections of the bars was mostly uncapped, so very light, but tasty! Got ****ed near a quart actually, just out of 4 bars (1 extra had broken and fallen that was all honey/nectar)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts