Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was viewing Anarchy beekeeping when he made a statement about shaking the bees out of the hive into another hive and doing it for 7 generations. His reasoning was that each time they built smaller and smaller comb. Well, that sounds good, but I have some reservations about disturbing them much. I mean you could do at least 4 shakeouts in one season. Seems a bit excessive to me, but I might be wrong. What do you guys and gals think?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is where you take the top bar with the comb that has the queen on it and move it to another hive body. Then you take 2 more combs with all of their bees and literally shake them into the new hive body. The other 2 combs go back to the old hive.

·
Registered
609 Posts
i call what cozybldr described a queen right split. i don't automaticly take the comb with the queen on it though it's a bit quicker. i take the queen and shakes of bees and sealed ready to hatch brood. this leaves the eggs and youngest brood with the bulk of the bees to feed and make a new queen and the new split with no work but comb building and reinforcements emerging. if you don't gives stores or have a flow feed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.