Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Excuse my wild speculating. I'm here to learn. and experiment.

I've been meditating a bit on "bottom supering" and or "bottom brooding" or folks call it "nadiring". I'm familiar the Warre uses this in theory, I dont have personal experience with the Warre.

I've been wondering if there would be any benefit creating a "bottom brooder" for a TBH and crafting a sort of "slide on nadir box", that would essentially turn a TBH into a Deep TBH - if this makes sense folks.

But bare with me. Top bar is frameless, its top bar, the aforesaid nadir box would have mini frames. These mini frames could be around 6"x6" (or 8.75" x 6.25" if you wanted to utilize medium lang frames, you would cut them in half)

Alternatively, the nadir box, could have "standing frames" sort of like an H that looks like |_| where the space below the middle bar is about 2" and above around 6". Making the Nadir box around 8"x8" (going off a Kenyan design, not that I'm particularly for Kenyan designs)

My speculation leads me to think this lower box would become the main brood box? Because the queen would move down? and all of the frames in the main TBH upper level would then be pure honey? OR?

OR - if you put a queen bee excluder in between the TBH and proposed nadir box, it could be "bottom super " .. super nadir? full of honey. How will the hive react? Is there benefits to this outside of the aesthetic/ergonomic details I'm meditating on? Could this help the TBH overwinter better in some way?

(BTW I am open to the idea of this TBH nadir box being insulated if need be.)

Finally, I wanted to mention that i prefer TBH in the 4' length minimum, so in theory this "TBH nadir box" could be 2' sections or 1' sections or even 1.3' sections etc. and therefore modular. Thus you could add small amounts of mini frames in this nadir box at a time (and thus remove small nadir boxes at a time), or you could add them all, and it just makes carrying and working with them easy. and also, if added slowly, helps the bees regulate their environment. and so forth.

If you think some type of slide on nadir box has efficacy, please tell me WHICH TBH style or design you think it would work best with and why?

If you think this is a useless idea, pray tell.

Any experience or experiments with this idea? Link me or tell me about it !

I WOULD LOVE to build this.

Please instruct, advise, reflect. Thanks! Peace.

Al

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
I think you over-complicating this, Al.
TBH is to be used exactly as-is - simple as a brick and cheap as a recycled cardboard box.

Else you are hijacking its main features - the extreme simplicity and the low cost.
And by hacking at these main features, what exactly are you gaining in return?

If looking for larger combs (which you appear to be in this post) - well, you are already looking at the HDHs and that is the right direction.

I suggest you actually arrange yourself a couple of actual long hives with actual bees (say one TBH and one HDH). Play with the hives and the bees (both!) for a couple of years.
Pretty soon you will dump some ideas and gain other ideas just by soiling your beekeeping garb. THEN set off to building some experimental staff, not BEFORE. :)

If you are already doing it, then great.
Maybe I missed that part.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right. I am interested in aesthetics and ergonomics and novelty too. Im a hobbier and like taking care of creatures and making it pleasureable for the humanoids to do so!

I suppose I enjoy the smaller novelty quality of the TBH but I see how it would be easy to cause the hive to swarm running out of room. Thus the idea to slide on a nadir box. I fancy these quadratic boxes Phil Chandler makes on youtube. That is part inspiration for these mini nadir frames under a TBH.

I hear you saying go and try some stuff, and I already am I have one horizontal hive, but I do rather enjoy this engineering speculation part as well, which is mostly why im on here !

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just goes to show, if you wander around this forum long enough you will find that there are very few new ideas. I also have been toying with the idea of being able to add a sub box onto a long deep, in my case framed, hive. My principle question is similar to yours. What will the bees do? Assuming that there is a well established queen in the main box with brood and all the rest and I add a sub box with a restricted entrance from the bottom of the main hive, a few round holes or similar. Will they fill it with honey or will the queen migrate? There are a lot of posts which say that the queen likes to stay near the main entrance and that she is reluctant to leave brood, others that say that the bees like to fill stores down and need to be coerced into going up so, with my inexperience there seems to be a fair chance.

What do the bee psychologists out there think?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts