Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
From Amazon: "In this book the reader shall obtain information of value for rational management of the africanized bees."

So, perhaps it is a technique for dealing with AHB, but I somehow doubt it. Certainly not something I would recommend for EHB.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Bees don't have ears, so they don't "hear." But, they do feel vibrations. Knocking on their hive will prepare them to be defensive, not a good idea. A little smoke to let them know you are coming is much better, IMHO.
The same goes for knocking on the hive during the winter to see if they are still alive - not good. This unsettles their cluster and then they have to redo it all.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
From Amazon: "In this book the reader shall obtain information of value for rational management of the africanized bees."

So, perhaps it is a technique for dealing with AHB, but I somehow doubt it. Certainly not something I would recommend for EHB.
there is no rational management of africanized bees. can't think of a more irrational thing to do in beekeeping.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Usually you get a big "pop" when you pry the cover or inner cover and the propolis breaks. No need to do that on purpose. After the pop, I would wait a minute before opening. If you can avoid the "pop", I would...

·
Registered
424 Posts
No tapping needed... they know you are there. No need to get them riled up at the start. Slow and easy works best and when you talk to them don't cuss.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I was a newbee here in SoCal, I was so proud when I trapped my first swarm. They seemed so gentle. Until they built up and had something to defend.

I don't think I'll soon forget setting the smoker near them before I got in my suit, it made a very slight scraping sound when I put it down. My brain was still digesting the sight of an unbelievable amount of bees pouring out of a 1/2" hole without realizing that my legs were already churning! I don't think I ran that fast in High School Track! The little buggers chased me 1/4 of a mile down the trail lighting up both calves!! Hilarious!!

My introduction to AHB....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts