Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about installing a tankless LP water heater in my honey house. It will be like most it will be used only about six or seven days a year. Anyone use tankless.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
if you are going to only use it a few times a year put in a cheap electric one. the tank-less is best if used everyday. it is money to spend that the fuel savings will never pay for in your situation. not using it for long periods will cause more not less maintanence. drain the electric in the off season, shut off the power when not in use, remember to fill and turn it on the day before you use it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have two in my home and they are gas powered. They are amazing! Instant hot water and a near limitless supply of it. I had the plumber unlock the one for the master bath and I use to mix sugar syrup and to clean up after extracting honey. 140 degree water makes all that a snap. love love love it

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if you are going to only use it a few times a year put in a cheap electric one. the tank-less is best if used everyday. it is money to spend that the fuel savings will never pay for in your situation. not using it for long periods will cause more not less maintanence. drain the electric in the off season, shut off the power when not in use, remember to fill and turn it on the day before you use it.
The problem is that i have a tri-plex line that runs from my brother-inlaws house to a dairy barn that is my shop and honey house. I am trying to cut his costs. That is why i am going with propane.

·
Super Moderator
11,214 Posts
It seems to me that Matheson is on the right track even if it is your brother-in-law's power bill. Use an inexpensive electric tank heater, but shut it off for the non-honey season - and pay your brother-in-law some cash for the few days that you do use hot water from the electric tank. The savings from not installing propane should leave plenty of free cash available.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
>The savings from not installing propane should leave plenty of free cash available. <

The thing about propane it does not have to installed. I can use a portable bottle as little as i will be using it.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
if and when a tankless heater screws up it is a lot more expensive to repair. if you use it daily it is usualy quite dependable, siting unused for months is not helpful.

·
Registered
162 Posts
We've replaced an old Bosch[first generation type...] with a newer one. We love it, except when it goes on the fritz; takes a very well trained tech to fix it. Our brand, Noritz, doesn't like a dusty environment, gets an error and won't stay lit. This requires lots of attention to dust in the utility area. Endless hot water is very nice, really doesn't make sense to continually heat water you don't use?!? Thing sounds like a jet engine when it fires up though, quite the heat exchanger in these things! All in all, we like it over the large tank variety; did I mention endless hot water, lol!

Definitely do some research into the units...

·
Registered
17 Posts
If it is only going to be used in your honey house for a week out of the year then a "Point-of-Use Electric Water Heater" may be the way to go. They connect at the source/sink, and cost at or below $200.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you get be I would recommend a rheem or rinnia in that order. After installing alot of these I can tell you that they will give you an endless supply of hot water if sized properly. If you do get one spend the star $50 or so for the commercial chip that'll give you 185* water. It's real nice for mixing 2:1.

·
Registered
313 Posts
We have a tankless for the main bath, which works very well. But for the kitchen sink, which is far enough away from the tankless that it takes forever to heat up I installed a small 2 gal electric beneath the sink, to provide water until the tankless water gets there. It is a simple install, plugs into an outlet, and provides instant very hot water. I suggest a small electric unless you need a lot of water. Much less expensive than a tankless propane, and probably also much less expensive to operate.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Just for (* comparison *) I checked our local Lowe's price's.
30 gal gas water heater $401.24
Gas Tankless water heater $848.00
For even 2 week's use that is half price.
Use your 20 lb. tank and drain, then remove it and fire up the grill with some Honey BBQ Ribs.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if it gets real cold outside a 20 lb. cylinder will not deliver vapor fast enough, you will need a larger tank.

When i take off honey it's usally about 95. The bottle will be on the inside anyway.

I found one on craigs list that was 200.00 and when i looked it up It sold new for 729.00.
I also found a 30gal. tank heater that was 40.00 so i bought them both.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Tankless heaters operate from 50,000-140,000btu for the small units. A small tank will freeze up even inside @ 90*. I recommend at least 120 gal tank.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tankless heaters operate from 50,000-140,000btu for the small units. A small tank will freeze up even inside @ 90*. I recommend at least 120 gal tank.
John i am not following you. ( A small tank will freeze up even inside @ 90*. )
I will winterize this unit this fall.

·
Super Moderator
11,214 Posts
Propane in a tank is in a liquid state. But it only burns in the heating appliance as a GAS. In order to turn the liquid into a gas, so your heater will work, heat MUST be added to the liquid propane. (Its somewhat similar to turning water into steam.) Normally, the air surrounding the outside of the propane tank provides enough heat to warm the liquid propane into a gas, but if you try to take a lot of propane at once from a small tank, the air cannot transfer heat fast enough. That is why John recommended a larger tank.

Some more info on this issue: http://www.propane101.com/propaneregulatorfreezing.htm

1 - 20 of 51 Posts