Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have just switched from a very old, well built Tangential extractor to a cheap Chinese Imported Radial extractor.

Quite a difference!

The old Tangential Extractor was slightly too high for my wife to comfortably change frames - it was getting hard work. We had it for many years - purchased about 20 years ago for $ 1500 ( Australian) - very solid, good motor ( had it re-wired) and a great work-horse.Adjustable speed, forward and reverse and with a simple timer ( which stopped working a long time ago) Only 4 frames at a time but for our small operation it did a good and reliable job. No complaints other than the extra work to turn the frames.

The new radial Extractor is Chinese - also Stainless Steel ( SAJ brand) we imported directly for around $ 400 ( Australian).
It arrived with some slight dints on the body - nothing major - but an indication that the SS is of modest quality.

We have now used it twice. It takes 8 frames and runs very smoothly, quietly, no rocking around. No turning required. It has computerised timers and can be programmed ( not that I will ever learn how:))
It is getting the honey out gently, no wraping of foundation.
The only negative is that the top bars are sticky and slippery when you take them out. And the knobs are for small hands and the dispaly for better eyes.

My wife is happy ( lower, not turning of frames required) and so far I'm surprised how well it works. Will it last?

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
In the radial arrangement every bit of the honey exiting from a frame has to slobber past the top bar so no surprise that it will be wetter than in a tangentially extracted frame. A bit longer spin time should somewhat dry off the top bars; might be worth a try.

Some of the newer cheap extractors have nylon gears that have been known to strip and replacement is not easy unless kept in stock by a supporting dealer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts