Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WEnt into fall with several nucs lacking stores but with sugar blocks on them and about 45 hives with mostly 1 deep and a shallow with sugar boards.

had purchased a large number of the hives and they had supposedly been treated for mites before I got them. Turns out they have some tougher mites or was sold a bill of goods. Probably the latter.

In mid December 27, I'm noticing problems and started with OA until the torch quit working. Put apivar on some of the other hives.

Good news, the OA treated clusters are 100% surviving, the Apivar are 90% survivng, the untreated hives are about 90%losses.

Lesson learned there, so we get into the first, second and however many polar vortexes and survive pretty well.

Last night come home to 60+ mph winds that have ripped the tops off of 8 of the remaining hives. Got them put back together with additional rocks, bricks, lumber, anything I could find to hold the tops on.

Mother nature, you're about to get on my bad side.

supposed to be 55 degrees here today, so I'll check on the ones that I put the tops back on. hope we have all 34 survivors make it till the spring warm up, if we have one.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
This winter do wear on don't it. The only thing I know about beekeeping these days is that if you don't know what the mite count in your colonies are, you have no basis for any decision you may make.

I bought bees from a supplier and drove myself crazy trying to find mites and didn't. Bought more bees from the same supplier who had drizzled oxalic the same way he always had and when I checked in the fall they were badly infested. I contacted him and he had the same problem and was at a loss why.

Careful physical Mite counts need to be a scheduled event in my opinion. They are with me now. It is just like life where all Evil or mites need to prevail is for people/beekeepers to do nothing.

I know that does not apply to Mr. Bush who does nothing and gets good results. He is just in good with the higher power.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts